Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default An American looking for British ancestors

A cordial hello to All,
    I am Timothy Dunford, and I reside in SE Louisiana, just close enough to New Orleans to go out for dinner.
    This area of the US isn't related to my roots, which, from my research turns out to be Colonial Virginia.
    The earliest ancestor that I've found down, 9 generations ago was Philip Dunford, who died in 1764 in Cumberland Co, VA.
    My father knew absolutely nothing about his family until I showed him his tree. He is a healthy 92yrs, and was tickled to learn that his name, Philip Dunford had been repeated every other generation, alternating with William.
    By the way I am an architectural photographer by trade, and I live here in with my wife and 17yr old son, William Dunford. We had no idea of the coincidence when we named him.
    My search of British ancestry will be starting in the 17th century.
    Best regards, researchers!

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    Finding little snippets such as the coincidence of names is one of the "oh, how about that" moments we genealogy obsessives take pleasure in.
    You have begun your journey whilst your father is alive which gives him pleasure and will be a great help to you. So many of us regret starting our research when those who could have helped are no longer with us.
    I see you have posted in the surnames forum. These posts get locked and are not for posting any research help from others so if you do want help find a suitable forum - brickwall? or a county forum, tell us what you know and what you are hoping to find and our friendly, knowledgeable sleuths will soon be on the trail.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs