Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I found Harriet's parents and grandparents - Huzzah for the GRO birth indexes where you can search with the mother's maiden name - and then thought that the grandparents, Abraham Nathan and Mary Holt married in 1843 so I ordered their marriage certificate because it would give their father's names - this would surely give me the branch of the tree right?

Abraham Nathan full age Bach. Toll Collector Newington, Surrey father Sam'l Nathan Picture Dealer

This makes Abraham the brother of John Nathan who is the grandfather of the William Linley who married Harriet in 1908 (or didn't)

I find it interesting that Abraham married in the Parish Church of St Mary in Bermondsey.

I love this family because they obviously didn't sever contact with Abraham and his family the same as John didn't break contact with his daughter Elizabeth when she married an Irish Catholic Actor.
    I am now waiting for the other certificate. I will keep you posted
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

The marriage certificate for Harriet Nathan and Frederick Galbraith has arrived! He says he is a sergeant 4th Dragoon Guards. His father is named as Frederick Wimberley Galbraith (deceased) no occupation. She names her father as Richard Nathan Cab Proprietor so I did find the right family. What interests me is that he has Baron in that name - I have put the image of that part of the certificate up so you can see. OH and Harriet says she is 21 but we know she isn't don't we!

Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

janbooth

Thanks for letting us know the result and at least you have now linked them together. Wonder what happened to Frederick R B - he sounds a bit of a rotter doesn't he!

Janet

I am on the trail!!!

I have found our Freddie boy in the 1871 and 1881 census with his parents and siblings

1871 RG10 piece 1384 F35 p10

1881 RG11 302 f109 p46

His father says his Birthplace is Hull and in the 1881 is a pensioner from the army. In the 1871 he is an inspector in what looks like Lunatic Asylum.

Frederick R B is a clerk in the G P O

1901 RG14 210 f84 p42

Anne Galbraith is a widow living with her three daughters.

So Frederick R B also lied on the marriage certificate when he dropped his age by 4 years to marry a girl of 17. This isn't going to end well is it?
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 27-09-2017 at 1:35 PM. Reason: found more stuff

Have now found some of his military record - two attestations because he joined up in 1883 and was in the Egyptian campaign then bought himself out in 1884. He lied about his age to get in and then when he joined again in 1891 he lied again - sigh.

Nothing about him after 1900 though.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

That's great. The Baron (Barron) comes from Anne's maiden name.

I think he ended up in the army because he had that run in with the law. The newspaper articles read as if his family and friends did not think he was in his right mind and if he was released into their care they would 'sort it'. His father probably sent him off to keep him out of trouble.

Mrs P

So many newspapers picked up the story. He was 16 so just ripe for trouble. His army career looks really good, what there is recorded and yet he lied about his age to Harriet and she lied too. You can never tell. I have been a bit distracted because we had some bad news yesterday. I will try to find more about our Freddie and where he went after the marriage but not today. This day is for crying

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Oh dear, well our thoughts are with you.

Mrs P

janbooth

My thoughts are with you too.

Janet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123