Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Missing Newcastle birth

Hello. I am looking for advise/help as to where I look next for a birth/Baptism record in Newcastle upon Tyne having exhausted most of the normal online sites.

I am looking for the birth of a George Waugh Todd who was born in Newcastle upon Tyne in about 1812. He was a Joiner by occupation and was married to an Anne Gibson in Newcastle in 1837. On his marriage cert it states his father to be a John Todd (probably deceased) a Hosier.

I believe that his parents were a John Todd and Mary Hunter (married in Newcastle in 1808) and his grandfather a Thomas Todd, tobacconist of Newcastle. The evidence for this is an Apprenticeship deed in 1825 when George Waugh Todd was apprenticed as a Joiner and stated to be made with the consent of his Stepfather Thomas Sproat and his Grandfather Thomas Todd, tobacconist of Newcastle. It is believed that George's father John died sometime before 1824 and in that year there is a record of a Mary Todd as a widow marrying a Thomas Sproat thus becoming George's stepfather. In addition the Grandfather Thomas Todd as a widower married for a second or more time in 1810 in Newcastle to a Sarah Waugh. At the time he was an Excise Officer but Sarah Waugh was the widow of a tobacconist and it looks as if he took over the business on his marriage. It may also account for his son John including Waugh in his son's name two years later.

However I still need a birth/baptism record for George to try to confirm the above is correct. I think it is likely that there are a lot of records for the Newcastle area which are not yet on line and, those that are have an awful lot of Todds' but, if anyone has any ideas where to look next it would be appreciated.

Dundee10

You are probably looking for a non-conformist baptism. This looks like the baptism for his brother Thomas who is living with Mary SPROAT in 1851.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWD8-LVW

A possible sister Isabella:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3ZY-T2Z

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Dundee10. I agree and I was aware of these two births. Unfortunately the original records do not give any further details of occupations or the Mother's maiden name etc, which would help. I am doubtful about Thomas as later Census records would indicate his birth to be about 1907 which is two years before the date in the Family Search record. In the 1841 Census Mary Sproat also has a daughter Sarah who was probably born in about 1814 but I can not find her birth with the right parents either. It appears that there were probably a lot of John and Mary Todd married couples around at the time.

If it was my search, I'd be expanding the search area. People often generalized about their birthplace, especially in the early censuses and gave the place they could remember living. If they came from a tiny village near Newcastle, it was possibly easier to just say Newcastle than have to explain just where the settlement was...
    Also, his mother could have gone to visit her mother or someone else and given birth there...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Lesley. I have tried expanding the search area in the past but with no luck