Thread: Joseph Hunter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tolly

Default Joseph Hunter

Am trying to trace the father/family branches back for Joseph Hunter (married Martha Ann Maddock in Gateshead, 12 July 1913 whilst living at 63 Milling St, Gateshead). I posted this line of query a while back and as suggested, ordered a copy of the marriage cert Apart from the info above, from the cert I can see that: he was born in 1889/1890 (age 23 on cert), a bachelor and coal putter. Father: John Hunter (coal miner/hewer) and married at Gateshead Reg Office. I have traced his spouse's line with no problems, but can not go any further back with Joseph: too many possibles in the area (and that's only assuming he was from the NE!). Any ideas welcome esp the chance in a million that someone out there on here knows the family ha ha or can glean useful info from a directory using the address? I'm stuck!

Paul

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Just to confirm that
    I posted this line of query a while back and as suggested, ordered a copy of the marriage cert
    refers to this thread which is all about Joseph's wife, Martha.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...hlight=Maddock

Joseph gets one mention (because of marrying Martha), so this is definitely not a duplicate thread.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Tolly

Yep that's the one: Thanks! .... ooops sorry meant to add this to Pam's link! Will look thru your options now: Thanks

marymog

megans options. Nr 3 was born June quarter 1890 mothers maiden name Jarvis. Just looked it up because he was a coal Putter.

mary

Tolly

Yes, saw that, but someone else's research (Ancestry based) seems to have found his marriage to another person so discounted it! Thanks anyway.

capsmum

Default Joseph Hunter

1891 census-- how about John Hunter 29y coal miner b Scotswood, wife Mary Ann 27y (nee Richardson) b Durham son Joseph 2y b Ryton dau.Dorothy A 4y b Scotswood, living at 67 Stargate,Ryton,Gateshead. 1901 still at Stargate but now number 48 with 4 more children + Luke Richardson 14y and Edith Richardson16y. Any help ?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I did a search in the 1911 census for a Joseph Hunter born in 1889 +/- 2 years living anywhere in England and Wales with a John Hunter as his father, and there are surprisingly few results. Of course by 1911 Joseph may not have been living with his father. I have also added the 1901 census references just in case there might have some missed in 1911.

Discounting those where the Joseph has more than one forename, and works in an industry other than coal mining these are the choices:

1. 55 Caroline St, Hetton-Le-Hole, Durham
    Father: John a Coal Inspector born 1854. Mother Margaret Ann born 1856. Joseph a Labourer Surface born 1887.
    1901 Census Ref: Piece 4695 Folio 139 Page 23

2. 30 Newburgh St., Amble Arklington, Northumberland
    Father: John a Coal Miner Shifter Underground born 1861. Joseph a Miner Datal Work Below Ground born 1889.
    1901 Census Ref Piece 4765 Folio 9 Piece 10 – This is in Gateshead.

3. East Rainton Fence Houses, East Rainton, Durham
    Father: John a Coalminer Hewer born 1867. Mother: Elizabeth born 1869 Joseph a Coalminer Putter born 1891.
    1901 Census Ref: 4692 Folio 11 Page 13

4. 18 Bowes Street, Gosforth, Newcastle-On-Tyne, Northumberland
    Father: John a Coalminer Hewer born 1862. Mother: Margaret Jane born 1862 Joseph a Coal Miner Shifter Stone Miner born 1891.
    1901 Census Ref: 4822 Folio 54 Page 38

I also checked to see if he was living at 63 Milling Street and he wasn’t.

Whilst No. 2 looks like a strong candidate, you will have to work through the others and see if you can eliminate them.

Tolly

Think I saw that no2 was thought to have married Agnes Bradford (someone else's research). Think I ruled out no3 as he seems to have married in 1902 or 1912. The address given on the marriage cert for both partners was Milling Street, but if wasn't living there then maybe it was to be their intended home? Or just Martha's and Joseph copied it? Thanks anyway