Starting to feel at home

Default Finchley Cemetery

Does anyone know where Finchley Cemetery is now? There's East Finchley cemetery but that used to be called St Marylebone cemetery. I thought maybe Islington cemetery. might be the place I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Are you looking for the possible burial of someone in Finchley Cemetery or do you know for a fact that someone is buried there but want to confirm where the cemetery is?
    Either way, you could probably get a clue by checking the Islington records which are on Deceasedonline. If I remember correctly, you have to register, but can then search for free. There's a link via the Islington cemetery site, and then click on 'genealogy and war graves'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Pam. I have quite a few ancestors who were said to be buried in Finchley burial ground. After looking on the site you suggested I get the impression that Finchley burial ground covers more than one cemetery including St Pancras, Islington and Highgate.
    In particular I was looking for my 2nd gt grandmother as it is 100 years this year since her death and I'don't to visit her grave and pay my respects. Turns out she was buried in Islington cemetery. Now I just have to work out where. Would it be worth contacting Islington Cemetery for that information?

A fountain of knowledge

Deceasedonline was reorganised some months ago and no longer tells you the cemetery for free, just the name of the council from which they got the records, and many councils have several cemeteries. To get the actual cemetery and plot number, you have to pay Deceasedonline and the cemetery will probably just refer you there. Deceasedonline also offers register scans, which might be of interest but aren't usually necessary. They also offer maps, but from what I've seen in various cemeteries, these don't pinpoint the plot, just point out the square, which in many cases, including Islington, you can find yourself from a map you can download for free. What they do tell you for free is the number of people buried in the grave and if this exceeds about 5, it's probably a common grave and less likely to have a headstone.