Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley

Hi, I'm a volunteer working with the "Bringing Netley Military Hospital Alive" Project based at the Royal Victoria Country Park, Netley Abbey. There are several volunteer groups working on the project. The Oral History Group (of which I'm a member) is interested in the memories of people who had any association with the Hospital. We are happy to connect - by email, phone, personal interview - with you to hear your stories. The information we collect may be reproduced at a later stage within Exhibitions, Displays once our restored Chapel within the RVCP is re-opened to the general public in the summer of 2018.

I am also a member of a small group of researchers currently compiling a list of patients admitted to the Hospital during WW1 including whether they survived, died and were buried in our Military Cemetery or elsewhere. Any information is gratefully received! Thanks Brenda

marymog

Hi Brenda,

Maybe you have already done this, but if you have a researcher with a subscription to Ancestry, go to Ancestry, click search fill in "keyword" put (royal victoria hospital netley) in the box and click "Exact" this will bring up many members stories about their ancestors at this hospital, it might give you a kick start.

Mary

The Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette, 14 Sep 1914

"The following admissions of wounded non commissioned officers and men from the Expeditionary Force to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley are reported under date Aug 29th ...."

Upwards of 200 names are listed with rank, number and regiment.

Access to these newspapers is available via British Newspaper Archive or FindMyPast - both subscription/credit sites. Access to these is often available FREE at your local library.

In addition there are many references to individuals admitted, some including photographs and "potted" histories
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A fountain of knowledge

If you are brave enough, you could cheekily 'try it on" by contacting the two organisations mentioned by helachau. Explain the project to them and ask if they would like to contribute to it by 'donating' copies of the records they have relating to the hospital. Promising due recognition of their contribution, of course.

You never know "Faint heart etc."

There's a wealth of stuff - I particularly liked

JOKE OF THE WEEK (prize 5s)
    TOMMY'S WISH - the following was overheard in the trenches
    Tommy (who is bitterly complaining that he has not had a change of underclothing for many weeks, and consequently his hands were kept very busy): "I say, Bill, is it right that t'owd Kaiser has a withered arm?"
    Bill: "Ay, lad, I believe its right"
    Tommy: "Well, I wish to goodness that he'd had both arms withered and he'd my shirt on"
    (A fact)

Winner - Pte A Hartley (Burnley),
    2nd Batt.Lancs. Fus.,
    22 B2 Medical,
    Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, Hants

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    JOKE OF THE WEEK
    Getting a bit off topic, sorry, but my dad told a tale of a Tommy who sent a letter home to Gillette or Wilkinson or some such co. to say he'd been using one of their blades daily throughout 3 years of the war in the trenches - hoping the testimonial would get him some sort of freeby parcel from them. Apparantly they sent him one blade with the covering note to say 'Thank you, and please find enclosed another 3 years supply'!

That might have been an apocryphal tale, knowing my dad.

Cheers, MTS

Apocryphal or fact it's good 'un.

Thanks for sharing it.