Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mariner Records

Default Mariner Records

I have a Thomas Vipond, born 1758, who states on the birth record of his son born 1783, that he is a 'Mariner'.
    Just wondering if there'd be any records with details of Mariners from that far back.

Thanks.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi

I have looked on the National Archive site and it seems to me unless you have any other details such as the ship he was on or further details then it is a difficult subject to research. What area did he come from? does it say Mariner on any of his other children's (if he had any) baptisms, or his marriage or did he leave a Will? Did any other family member leave a Will? Check early newspapers for ships movemements and other articles, you never know. I was lucky as my ancestor applied to Trinity House for relief in 1820 and I was able to ascertain what ship he was on and when he was on it.

Hope you find something.

Mrs P

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    Hi

I have looked on the National Archive site and it seems to me unless you have any other details such as the ship he was on or further details then it is a difficult subject to research. What area did he come from? does it say Mariner on any of his other children's (if he had any) baptisms, or his marriage or did he leave a Will? Did any other family member leave a Will? Check early newspapers for ships movemements and other articles, you never know. I was lucky as my ancestor applied to Trinity House for relief in 1820 and I was able to ascertain what ship he was on and when he was on it.

Hope you find something.

Mrs P
    Hi and thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, all I have for him is the birth of son Thomas Vipond, in 1783 at Low Bentham, Yorkshire, England and it states a Thomas Vipond, father, is a 'Mariner'.
    There are no children prior 1783 born to a Thomas at Low Bentham, nor after 1783.
    So it's either an only child, records have been lost, or he was on the move after 1783.

Having said that, Thomas Vipond born 1783 seems to have settled in the round about areas, for he married at Burton in Lonsdale in 1825, plus his children were baptised at Ingleton, Yorks. So perhaps he had been an only child.

Anyway back to father Thomas the Mariner. Not sure where he was born, the exact year or his place of birth, or even who he married. There were also a lot of Viponds in Garrigill, a few in Manchester and Liverpool and one would expect that somebody who went on to become a Mariner, had perhaps been born or living near a Port. Which has me wondering and thinking, he was born outside of Yorkshire.

There is a Thomas Vipond baptised about 1758 at Thornton in Lonsdale, who married a Mary Harrison about 1782, which would seem to fit in with the year 1783 when son Thomas was born, but I dunno. I wouldn't have thought a Mariner would be tied to any one place, for a prolonged amount of time.

I'll just keep digging I guess. And search for a Will.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi lylacmyst,
    Love the monicker.
    Have you seen this site?
    https://www.vieuxpont.co.uk/index.html
    Which details the Vipond name history etc. mainly in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Hi lylacmyst,
    Love the monicker.
    Have you seen this site?
    https://www.vieuxpont.co.uk/index.html
    Which details the Vipond name history etc. mainly in Wales.
    Hi macwill, yes I have encountered it before. He seems to have Viponds from everywhere, except for the Viponds of Bentham/Ingleton/Thornton in Lonsdale/Middleton in Teesdale and Durham. Which are the Viponds I am directly related too.

I will take a deeper look though because I'm not convinced my lot originate in Yorkshire. I think all Viponds are probably related, it's just finding that point they connect. I'm hoping Thomas leads me outside of Yorkshire and connects with other Viponds.

Thanks for reply

I've just mailed the webmaster of that site. Maybe he will be able to shed some light.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi, I have had a look around but I am not coming up with anything remotely helpful. Lots of Yeoman's but no Mariners.

Mrs P

Well I've been looking and found this in the Gazette, dated 1827. Comes under the heading of 'At the Court House Durham, in the County on the 20th July 1827'......

Looks to me like it's a death announcement. Or whatever.....I'm not making Head or tail of it, lol.

It's the only thing I'm finding.

It is The Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors. I found it on Google books and moved back a page.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks Christanel. Still not convinced it's my Thomas though, it's so far just the only one I've found. Asides a Thomas Vipond who also had both legs blown off during the war with Napolean, which I don't think is him either and given the year that happened he'd be a fairly old man.

Bishopwearmouth is near Sunderland, a once thriving ship building industry, but Bentham seems a long way to go, to get married and have a son. Plus the son married in Bentham in 1825 had all of his family there, so the connection to Bentham is strong. Sons occupation is not stated in the 1841 Census and he died before 1851 at Bentham.

Still can't shake off the feeling though, that father Thomas being a Mariner, was born outside of Yorkshire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast