Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default ELiza Amelia Clarke born 1852 Portsmouth

Hello,

My 2nd Great Grand mother Eliza Amelia Clarke married Samuel Burner Barnes his 2nd marriage widow Sep 1881 in Swansea they had two children from marriage, we are from Lily Rosina Barnes born 1883 Swansea.

Have been able to trace Eliza Amelia Clarke in 1881 Head Nurse Maid, Servant,at Werndleu, Bettws, Carmarthenshire, in Wales.

Also believe in 1871 a General Domestic Servant at Gibraltar Villas, Portsmouth, Hampshire. The trail dead end.

Trying to find Eliza Amelia Clarke born between 1846-1853 in Portsmouth Hampshire England parents.

Thanks
    The Green's family

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do I presume that you have the marriage certificate for Eliza and Samuel? If so, does Eliza give a father's name and occupation?

Clark(e) is quite a common name, not helped by the rather large range of birth years you've given. How old does Eliza say she is in the 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911 census, as well as when she married? I presume she died before the 1939 Register was taken. Have you found her death, and if so, how old was she said to be when she died?

One thing to bear in mind is that not all births were registered before 1874, so have you searched for a baptism for Eliza?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

The 1891 and 1901 Censuses are consistent - "born 1850, Portsmouth", Samuel died 1900.

Uses given name Amelia in 1901.

Yet to find 1911
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

There's a registered death for Eliza Amelia Barnes, Sep Qtr 1902,Swansea, 11a 445,age 46.

Calc. YoB = 1846

janbooth

1891 census of Swansea shows that Eliza BARNES was born c1850 at Portsmouth, Hampshire. Two possibilities in the 1861 census for Eliza using her birthplace in the 1891 census as a search parameter:

RG9/639, folio 40, page 34, Elizabeth daughter of William & Ellen CLARKE plus 4 siblings living at 1 Martells Court, Portsmouth

RG9/636, folio 64, page 31, Elizabeth daughter of Mary Ann BAKER plus brother George CLARKE living at 18 Smiths Lane, Portsea

However, at the moment I cannot find any marriage record for Eliza to Samuel Banner BARNES other than the GRO record so no luck finding out her father's name without the marriage certificate nor can I find a likely baptismal record for her and you have to bear in mind that the place of birth she gave in the 1891 census, i.e. Portsmouth, might just be where she grew up as a child.

As Pam has said, the only way to proceed is to purchase her marriage certificate to Samuel if you have not already done so, which should give her father's name and profession therefore enabling us to trace her back in previous census records.

Janet

The marriage cert may be available "off shelf" in local archives - depends on it being a church wedding. Unfortunately they don't open Mondays - and I'll be passing the place later today. But won't be nipping into town again until later this week.

There's an Eliza Barnes, age 3, in Portsea on the '51 Census.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The marriage cert may be available "off shelf" in local archives - depends on it being a church wedding. Unfortunately they don't open Mondays - and I'll be passing the place later today. But won't be nipping into town again until later this week.

There's an Eliza Barnes, age 3, in Portsea on the '51 Census.
    You were doing OK till you got to the last sentence. Barnes was Eliza's married name. In 1851 you should be looking for an Eliza Clarke.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

marymog

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    1891 census of Swansea shows that Eliza BARNES was born c1850 at Portsmouth, Hampshire. Two possibilities in the 1861 census for Eliza using her birthplace in the 1891 census as a search parameter:

RG9/639, folio 40, page 34, Elizabeth daughter of William & Ellen CLARKE plus 4 siblings living at 1 Martells Court, Portsmouth

RG9/636, folio 64, page 31, Elizabeth daughter of Mary Ann BAKER plus brother George CLARKE living at 18 Smiths Lane, Portsea

However, at the moment I cannot find any marriage record for Eliza to Samuel Banner BARNES other than the GRO record so no luck finding out her father's name without the marriage certificate nor can I find a likely baptismal record for her and you have to bear in mind that the place of birth she gave in the 1891 census, i.e. Portsmouth, might just be where she grew up as a child.

As Pam has said, the only way to proceed is to purchase her marriage certificate to Samuel if you have not already done so, which should give her father's name and profession therefore enabling us to trace her back in previous census records.

Janet
    The Mary Ann Baker, was Mary Ann Martin, married William Clark in 1844 portsea, 3 kids William Robert 1845 Portsea Elizabeth Emily 1850 Portsea. George Martin 1852 Portsea. 1851 census Portsea , Mary Ann with William and Elizabeth (husband was a sailor) There is a William Clark death 1852 Portsea. There is a wedding for Elizabeth Emily in 1872 portsea. but cannot find her married.(used up time for today)

Hello Pam

Thanks for the comments. Not got marriage certificate as yet.
    In 1881 Eliza Amelia Clark age given as 29 years,
    In 1891 Eliza Barnes age 41 years in Sketty, Swansea (Both children named)
    1901 Amelia Barnes in Sketty, Swansea age given 51 years (Both children named)
    Found death record in 1902 of Eliza Amelia Barnes age 56 in Sketty, Swansea.
    Have tried for Baptism no results.

Thanks very much for your help

Greens Family

Hello Helachau

We believe that Eliza Amelia Barnes died at Sketty, Swansea in 1902 age stated 56 years not about 50 years as in census in 1881 & 1891.

Thanks for your help.

The Greens Family

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast