Default National Service

Hi all,

New to the commmunity.

I'm looking for help and advice. I'm trying to find my dad's records from the time he was serving his national service, but I can't find any information at all. I also know he was in "The Glasshouse" for a short time. Can anyone advise me where I may find his records?

Many thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello MandyLouise,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

It sounds as if you may have come to us via Forces War Records in which case this will tell you a bit about us.

Your father's records are still held by the MoD. Details of how to apply for them can be found here. In addition to the forms you will also need to send thirty pounds and a copy of your father's death certificate. There may be a wait of several months before you receive a reply.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Mandy,
    There is a Sticky Here (click on blue link) which will help with the info you're looking for.
    In brief:- If your father is still alive only he can obtain his records, if not, his widow can get them free, otherwise it will cost you £30 and a copy of his Death cert.

Regards
    Malcolm.

Edit; Pam beat me to it.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Hi Mandy,
    There is a Sticky Here (click on blue link) which will help with the info you're looking for.
    In brief:- If your father is still alive only he can obtain his records, if not, his widow can get them free, otherwise it will cost you £30 and a copy of his Death cert.

Regards
    Malcolm.

Edit; Pam beat me to it.
    Yes, but Pam keeps forgetting that a spouse or civil partner can apply and receive the records for free, though they still have to send a copy of the death certificate, so thank you for that reminder.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

As has been mentioned the wait for MOD replies is extensive so if you already know the service he was in they you could amuse your self whilst you wait by researching what was happening in that arm of the services during the period he was in. No doubt you already know some, Dad must have mentioned his service from time to time, you have already mentioned time in the glasshouse, so you may know more than you know, if you see what I mean. So make a start and write it down now whilst you wait. Just a word of caution though, dont expect too much! My own service record of my national serice time didnt tell me a great deal. If I hadnt been there....
    cheers Ed
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]