Kiltpin

Default Quick Question - Yes or No

A very quick question - Do identical twins (in this case males) have the same DNA?

Regards

Chas

Knowledgeable and helpful

Yes.

Identical (monozygotic) twins happen when a single egg (zygote) is fertilised.
    The egg then divides into two embryos, creating identical twins who share the same genes as one another.
    Since monozygotic twins come from the same fertilized egg, they have the exact same DNA.
    Identical twins are always the same sex and blood type.
    Identical twins do not run in families, contrary to popular myth.
    Source: NHS

From an article in the Daily Mail (so it must be right!)

Peter

From Here
    "At this time, the technology does not exist to analyze DNA on the level required to distinguish between samples from identical twins. However, it's hoped that DNA testing will evolve to a level where it can detect the subtle epigenetic changes that exist in twins. Not only would it be useful to forensic scientists, but it would also help identify genetic significances associated with cancer and other diseases.

Interestingly, a more old-fashioned technique in crime investigation actually can be used to discriminate between twins. Fingerprint evidence can help "point the finger" at criminals, even if they are identical twins. That's because even identical twins have unique fingerprints."

This is an interesting article

Years ago I taught a set of male identical twins who were part of a long time study by a university in Australia because of a difference in their genetic? make-up. I can't remember the details now.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Kiltpin

Thanks, christanel and elsinore. I knew in my heart that, that was going to be the answer, but I was hoping that it wasn't.

Regards

Chas