Settling in

Default Ellen Manchester - born about 1790 in Kent

I would like to find the maiden name of Ellen Manchester, born sometime around 1790.

In the 1841 census (Piece 489, book 12, folio 31 page 14), Ellen (50) is living in Blackheath, Greenwich with her husband Stephen Manchester (50) and children Sarah (18) and Stephen (8). There is a 3rd child, Walter (b. 1821) but he has already move out by 1841. In 1851 she is still living in Greenwich with the two Stephen Manchesters and her age is given as 56. Her place of birth is given as Welling in Kent. In 1861, the younger Stephen has moved out but she is still living with husband Stephen; according to this census she is 73 - but still born in Welling.

What I have never been able to find is a wedding for Stephen Manchester and Ellen ??? There is a wedding for a Stephen Manchester and a Lydia Huxted in Rotherhithe in 1812 but I believe Lydia died in 1831 (ancestry has a burial of a Lydia Manchester on 13 Feb 1831). I'd like to be able to find a marriage for Stephen and Ellen. If they only married after Lydia's death, maybe Walter and Sarah are actually the children of Lydia and Ellen is only actually the mother of Stephen junior.

Growing old Disgracefully

Household in 1861 census

Steven Manchester Head M 68 Blackheath, Kent
    Ellen Manchester Wife F 73 Welling, Kent
    Sarah Peters F 77 Nk

Have you checked Sarah Peters out could she be her Mother

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Household in 1861 census

Steven Manchester Head M 68 Blackheath, Kent
    Ellen Manchester Wife F 73 Welling, Kent
    Sarah Peters F 77 Nk

Have you checked Sarah Peters out could she be her Mother
    I think not. She is only 4 (FOUR) years older than Ellen, more likely her sister.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    . . . more likely her sister.
    Actually, having thought about this some more, I realised she could also be the married sister of Steven, or even worse a lodger completely unrelated to either of them.
    My advice would be to see if you can find the baptism records of the children, they should give the mother's forename, which will confirm or eliminate the marriage to Lydia Huxted. It may also confirm what surname Steven Jr was baptised under, if they were not married he may be entered with his mother's name or if he was listed as Manchester both parents' names may be given in full if they were not married.