Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

phillip and shippo
    thanks for your research and posts

Phillip I am glad you found your jewish roots and hope that you are finding opportunities to express it including introspection, prayer, certainly posts to this site is amazing too.

When you refer to marriage certificate do you mean civil record to clarify Joseph or jacob uncertainty as Harry levy's father?
    His ketuba would surely show his fathers name in Hebrew, not sure where it is given all this time elapsed.

also if he was a member of the kalgoorlie Hebrew congregation the records may help.

If Harry and Aron are not one and the same why would my family in London bother to send letters to Kalgoorlie to Harry's address?

Good shakos all
    chaim

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

good shabbos i meant, my typo
    chaim

Chaim
    If you look on the Western Australia Online Indexes Births, Deaths, Marriages here is the Marriage Record for Julia and Harry:
    Alman Julia Cora Female Levy Harry Male Kalgoorlie Registration No 459 1903
    Cost $35 or $48 if less than 75 years.
    You have to fill in the Application Form and send with payment to Registry of Births, Deaths, Marriages PO Box 7720 Cloisters Square Perth WA 6850

There is no Death Certificate for Harry because he was killed in Belgium.

The first name differences for Jacob/Joseph are a puzzle particularly when written as Joseph and Hannah as parents of Harry.
    I take your point about your receiving letters from the family.
    We have no indication as to when Harry arrived in Australia or when he did work as a Boot cutter for 4 years.

The change of first names is not uncommon in my Jewish lines I have Napthali Asher aka Asher aka Arthur Robert and Henry aka Herbert similar changes with several other relatives including last name changes.

There is a photo of Harry Levy in his WW1 uniform see WW1 Pictorial Honour Roll of Western Australia and his parents are listed as Joseph and Hannah( I can understand Hannah to Annie but why Joseph?)

I am going to look again at the UK addresses and census.

Chaim- I would map all this data out and see if it makes sense in terms of Aaron/Henry/Harry Levy.

Phillip

I looked at the Australian Electoral Records and saw data on Harry Levy from 1903-1917:
    Harry Levy 216 Macdonald Street 1903 Hawker Kalgoorlie; 1910-1912 Harry Levy 222 Macdonald Street Kalgoorlie Hawker -Julia Cora Levy married; 1914-1017 Harry Levy Carrier 222 Macdonald Street Kalgoorlie-Julia Levy married

Chaim -you mentioned the ketubah for Harry/Julia which should contain details of parents- the Kalgoorlie Hebrew Congregation formed 1901-1940. You could check to see what records the Perth Hebrew Congregation hold and whether or not any came from Kalgoorlie post 1940.

As an aside my Isaac Crawcour/Esther Cashmore line settled in Melbourne and Michael Cashmore was Isaac's closest friend and brother in law and President of Melbourne Synagogue. My Hart/Goldsmid lines settled in NSW and Victoria and I had Crawcour relatives in WA. I am related to some of the Coppel in Melbourne.
    Phillip

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by chaimaustralia View Post
    When you refer to marriage certificate do you mean civil record to clarify Joseph or jacob uncertainty as Harry levy's father?

If Harry and Aron are not one and the same why would my family in London bother to send letters to Kalgoorlie to Harry's address?
    Im not one to usually harp on about certificates as they can be quiet expensive but i think with the name changes and confusion on this one it might help confirm things either way.

I have no doubt your London family did send letters to Kalgoorlie, as i said in a earlier post i feel these families are related but the Aron / Harry thing and his parents just need to be clarified.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345