Thread: Boer War

Default Boer War

Hi.

I'm trying to trace any records of Cornelius J O'Callaghan , married in Athlone military barracks, Ireland 1892 (we think) (possible his service #2988). He's was my G'Grandfather. After service he retired to Castlebar, Mayo, Ireland. His son Michael O Callaghan service # 24167 died from wounds incurred at the Battle of Bailleul on 16/4/18 and is buried at Haringhe , Belgium. As far as we know Cornelius served in and was possibly born in India to a military family. If anyone could help with this I would be eternally grateful, my Mother who is elderly would love to get a few more answers to her past. Thanks in advance.

Dessie

janbooth

You may already have this information, but there is a death registration at Castlebar in the March qtr 1958 for a Cornelius O'CALLAGHAN, aged 93, thus giving him a birthdate c1864/65.

Family Search has a birth/baptismal record (24th February/19th March 1865) at Saugor, Bengal, India, for a Cornelius CALLAGHAN son of James & Margaret CALLAGHAN - perhaps a possibility for your Cornelius. Several other birth/baptismal records in Bengal & Bombay for this couple on Family Search.

So far I have not found service records for either Cornelius or possible father James with any certainty, I'm afraid, but will keep looking.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Thank you for the swift response, Cornelius is buried in Castlebar as you say. Us Irish kept quite about our British military past so lots of info was lost, we're slowly coming around however. Really appreciate your help. Will follow up info you provided. Thanks again.

Dessie.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Cornelius James OCallaghan married Nellie Burke. 16th September in Athlone. He was a soldier. Father was James ,,,a labourer.
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Thank you, do you have any info as to where Cornelius was born, or would you know his service number. I have subscribed to Ancestry , war forces & findmypast.ie but so far have ran into brick walls concerning Cornelius.