Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sheena O'Fee

Default Royal artillery ; 9th brigade?

hi,
    I'm unsure if anyone can help me but here goes....Ive been searching for info on EDWARD JONES army no. 5562 [former army no.1486]
    I have his marriage certificate he married in Leith Scotland on 7th January 1857 on the Army record of his marriage at the top he was in the 9th brigade... it also has red scribbled writing on it saying STRUCK OFF with the number 5562/1 then underneath that it says died 23rd june 1879.

Ive a few things that's unclear
    on the forces war site Saying age 21yrs but he was born 1837 which would make him serving in army for approx. 21yrs I found record details saying he died 23/6/77 at Thayetmyo which was two years after what was written over his marriage details above.
    it also says he was in 1st brigade not 9th as above it also states he was in battery K

I presume all this info is on the Edward Jones I'm looking for can anyone shed more light on the red writing saying struck off or how I find out any more info on my Edward. I have all his childrens birth records from t least 6 different places including Kent, Ireland Bangalore...any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    regards
    Sheena O'Fee

Be careful about assuming that it's the same guy, it's not a rare name!

When you say that you have his marriage certificate, is this an army document or the civilian marriage certificate? What was the bride's name? I can't find the certificate on Scotlands People.

To find out more about him, you'll need to head for the census, BMDs, etc.

Sheena O'Fee

hi Lesley
    thanks for taking the time to read my post I know its a common name but both these Edward jones were sergeant farriers...I have both marriage documents the army plus from scotlands people (692/13 ) mothers name Doyanna Quinlain? impossible to find her father john jones is farm bailiff ive got childrens births and a possible Edward living with uncle in 1851 census hes a blacksmith apprentice which fits too....I know its not a deffo match but its the nearest ivegot so far

The FWR record says the Edward Jones has the middle initial E died 23 June 1878 so you have 3 different years of death. Writing on the original documents a bit fuzzy/blotched maybe? He joined up 8 August 1858 a Farrier sergeant 5562 in 1st Brigade Battery K RA. 21 years when he joined up in 1858 so born c1837
    Searching using the regiment number 1486 brings up Edward Jones (no middle initial) having the rank - shoeing smith - in the 9th brigade RA. There are no dates for any event ie: joining up, service period or death. It does say the record is dated 1861.
    So if the same man he either transferred units or left the army and rejoined?

What are the names, dates and places of birth of his children? Who did he marry?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I assume that your guy is Edward Jones, aged 21, resident Leith North, shoeing smith for the RA married Margaret Sutherland, 20, Leith? The date on the certificate on Scotlands People is 10 Jan 1859, not 1857 as you say in #1. His father was John Jones, farm bailiff, not mentioned as deceased, indicating still alive at the time of the wedding. Mother was Doyannah Quinlain, also also not mentioned as deceased in 1859. Bride's parents were James Sutherland & Barbara Stewart.

If this date clashes with the army one, trust SP - info for BMD certificates came from the local registrars, army info probably came from the individual.

There is no middle name or initial.

Don't forget that such occupations ran in families..

PS added later: Before repeating research that has already been done, potential helpers may want to note that there is a thread about this family running on Rootschat HERE with odd bits of extra information such as a possible link to Shrewsbury.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 31-08-2017 at 2:04 PM. Reason: ambiguous sentence

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I assume that your guy is Edward Jones, aged 21, resident Leith North, shoeing smith for the RA married Margaret Sutherland, 20, Leith? The date on the certificate on Scotlands People is 10 Jan 1859, not 1857 as you say in #1. His father was John Jones, farm bailiff, not mentioned as deceased, indicating still alive at the time of the wedding. Mother was Doyannah Quinlain, also also not mentioned as deceased in 1859. Bride's parents were James Sutherland & Barbara Stewart.

If this date clashes with the army one, trust SP - info for BMD certificates came from the local registrars, army info probably came from the individual.

There is no middle name or initial.

Don't forget that such occupations ran in families..

PS added later: Before repeating research that has already been done, potential helpers may want to note that there is a thread about this family running on Rootschat HERE with odd bits of extra information such as a possible link to Shrewsbury.
    Hi Lesley & Christina,

Thank you both for your time and effort trying to resolve my issues with Edward Jone...your quite right Lesley He did marry in 1859 not 1857 as my typo suggested on SP the info said he married on 7th January 1859 Leith [Edinburgh] Margaret Sutherland .when they married Edward was a Shoesmith in Royal Artillery.
    they had 7 children that I know of most of which were born in army barracks by the sounds of it.
    they are as follows;

Edward Jones born 2 Aug 1860 Leith Edinburgh
    Alfred James jones ; born 29 apr1863 ,Shorncliff.. baptised 21 june1863 -died 21 sept 1877 of cholera 14yrs old [fathers shoeingsmith R.A.]
    Robert Wm jones ; born 29aug1865 Portsmouth " 27 sep 1865
    Charles Jones; born 9 july 1867 Waterford " 4 aug 1867
    Emily jane jones; born 26 july1869 Fermoy " 22aug1869
    John Stewart jones born 9 oct 1871 Kamptee " 5 nov 1871 [fathers now serjeant farrier]
    agnes rose jones born 18july 1874 Bangalore " 22 mar 1874 - died 21sept 1877 of cholera 3yrs old

the above dates I got from an army record the first son Edward wasn't on that but I do have his birth cert stating his mother and fathers marriage and father occupation which is shoeing smith wit R.A [Royal Artillery]

NOW....I also have another army record with these births and bap. dates on all of the above children BUT there is also another child born in Portsmouth no date of birth but same baptised dates as Robert Wm Jones his twin perhaps?? their fathers army number on this last document was 1486 on one of the army docs his marriage theres his other number of 5562 wrote in red biro .
    I have his wife in census 1841 , 1851, 1891 .

The Edward jones c1837 was born in Dudley as far as I am aware this info was given to me by a family member who had Edwards army book which was tattered and torn but could make out 1837 Dudley father John.

I think I may have found Edward in 1851 census age 15 with his aunt n uncle his uncle is a blacksmith and he is his apprentice which MY Edward would have to be before becoming a shoesmith before becoming a farrier....jumping to conclusions possibly ? Ive tried to find his mother Doyannah Quinlin orQuintan ? and his father john farm bailiff ....My main reason for posting on this site was more for any military help why does it read struck off in red letters on his marriage certificate followed by 5562/1 which is the other army number I got from the forces war record site. any if any of the army records mentioned his parents? you have both been very good in taking the time to help find these missing links...I dont know if there was another Edward Jones whos records got mixed in with my Edward? the whole thing is quite confusing. If your interested in seeing some of these documents I have a tree on ancestry where you could look at the documents? Ive only picked up the Jones family tree again after taking a few years break for health reasons although made some headway my brick wall still stands where Edward with his parents are concerned .

many thanks
    Sheena

I think it might be worth looking for Diana (and variations) Q (in all its variations). The surname is most common in Ireland. If she had a strong accent and the Leith clerk wrote what he heard, you'd get something like that.

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I think it might be worth looking for Diana (and variations) Q (in all its variations). The surname is most common in Ireland. If she had a strong accent and the Leith clerk wrote what he heard, you'd get something like that.
    hi Lesley
    Ive tried all the variations I could think of many years ago and have started this quest again your right accents etc can make names sound different and written down so. Irish was my first search and I also tried various others . I presume Edward Jones told or wrote his parents names on his marriage records? as far as I can see neither of Edwards parents were witness? Ive a feeling this brick wall is a not for coming down but I will continue to search . as for the army numbers for Edward I presume their both his maybe he left army in England met Margaret and joined army again in Leith hence the two numbers although all the children have the former army number on their records 1486 and 5562 is only on his marriage written over in red....or the army admin have made an error mixing up two Edward Joes???
    I'll plod on see if I can get any answers Lesley thanks again for your help and time regarding Edward Jones

Have been doing some investigating re the term "struck off" and I think it refers to Edward's transfer from one unit to another. When joining another unit they are "struck off the strength of their unit" unless the unit expressly states that they should remain detached.
    The acronym SOS refers to 'struck off strength.'
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

This may explain change of service number.
    "https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_number"
    (Copy&Paste into search/address bar)

If he was transferred I would have thought records would specify which unit. Could you post clip of records?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast