Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Have been doing some investigating re the term "struck off" and I think it refers to Edward's transfer from one unit to another. When joining another unit they are "struck off the strength of their unit" unless the unit expressly states that they should remain detached.
    The acronym SOS refers to 'struck off strength.'
    Christina
    thanks Christina that would make sense why Edward Jones had two army numbers struck off the 1486 number to rejoin another unit and his number then being 5562...that's a great help, thanks so much for that info Christina much appreciated

sheena

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    This may explain change of service number.
    "https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_number"
    (Copy&Paste into search/address bar)

If he was transferred I would have thought records would specify which unit. Could you post clip of records?
    I'm not too sure how much of a clip I can give you

there are 3 marriage records of soldiers on this page Edwards is the first one his is the only one that says struck off however the others have similar numbers Edwards 5562/1 the next soldier has 5560/1 and the next 5570/1 so I'm presuming they all got moved to new unit hence their number changed? would that be the case do you think?

A fountain of knowledge

Yes. I think these are two separate annotations, the first is his transfer, the second is the recording of his death in his new unit.
    'Struck Off' meaning that he is no longer a serving soldier.

Edit: Just to make it absolutely clear. Struck Off and Died etc were entered by the same hand at a different time to 5562/1.

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Yes. I think these are two separate annotations, the first is his transfer, the second is the recording of his death in his new unit.
    'Struck Off' meaning that he is no longer a serving soldier.

Edit: Just to make it absolutely clear. Struck Off and Died etc were entered by the same hand at a different time to 5562/1.
    Thanks for that info macwil most helpful.

Ive also just noticed that clip I posted was the army record of his marriage on it his rank is serjeant farrier on the copy of his marriage cert from1859[ Sc.P ]hes a Shoeing smith and didn't become a serjeant farrier until approx. c1870 wondered why that would be? maybe wrote out later when going to other unit ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12