Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default William Walter McKay & Mary Ann McKay(House)

I am well and truly stuck. My Aunt recently passed away and I am trying to trace her family tree. My aunts Mum was Annie Grace Gibbs(Mckay) 1912-1932 she died in child birth having twins...my aunt lived and I think it was a boy who died. Annies parents are William Walter McKay (circa 1886) and Mary Ann McKay (House - 1893). They married in the Jul-Sept Qtr of 1911 so after the census. After that I am well and truly stuck. Williams Christening I believe to be Sept 23rd 1886, but I don't have an exact date of birth for either. My next course of action was to find them on the 1939 register but (after chatting online to FindMyPast) we can't find them. So my thoughts are that William has passed away and maybe Mary Ann has remarried or they had moved away, everything up until now has been in Hertfordshire. I have searched for death dates for both but can find nothing. I searched the 1939 register without a county...still nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Julie

Where did all of this happen? Unless the name is rare, every little bit of info helps the right people to stand out from the crowd...

Hi
    The only thing I have found out is that he is not the William McKay of Croxley Green Herts who is in the 1911 census with his parents William and May and in the WW1 service records unmarried with his father as next of kin.
    May's maiden name is Fraser and she and William snr both born Scotland as was their eldest daughter Christina so very likely they married there.

Do you have William and Mary Ann's marriage certificate? This would give you his father's name and occupation.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Do you have any of William and Mary's children's birth certificates? I see they were all born in Hertfordshire 1912-1924. What is William's occupation? Any little details that may help but the marriage certificate is the way to go.
    The christening you have 23 Sept 1886 is for the William above who is in the 1911 census with his parents and in the army WW1 a single man so not your bloke unless he was telling biiiig porkies. Parents William Groundwater McKay and Mary/May? Fraser.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

It all happened in Hertfordshire, Christina. I will order the marriage certificate. Thank you.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You will need this info to apply for the marriage certificate from

www.gro.gov.uk cat £9.25

Marriages Sep 1911
    House Mary A Hemel Hempstead 3a 1871
    McKay William W Hemel Hempstead 3a 1871

from the free site www.feebmd.org.uk

Dundee10

Perhaps William Walter was a widower when he married Mary Ann and a bit older than you think. There is a marriage at Fulham in 1899 where William Walter McKAY and Mary Ann BATCHELOR appear on the same page. Three daughters born and registered Watford/Hemel Hempstead. Mary Ann may have died in 1910 and William and the daughters are at Kings Langley in 1911. He is aged 33 and born Kings Langley.

Your William's daughters all married in the St Albans district before and after 1939, so you would think that the parent/s were still there. Have you looked at the original entries on the 1939 register or just the index?

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    Have you looked at the original entries on the 1939 register or just the index?
    I really think you need to look at the household of William E. McKAY in St Albans. William Ernest was born 1878, parents William Walter Alexander McKAY and Mary Ann FREEMAN. Perhaps the McKAY/HOUSE marriage cert has an incorrect middle name for William.

Starting to feel at home

Hi, Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ordered the McKay/House Marriage Certificate. Its Annie's Marriage Certificate (not the original - the index) that says her fathers name was William Walter McKay, and the registration of her birth that says her mothers maiden name was House. Maybe I also need a copy of Annies Marriage Certificate to my Grandfather (she is not my Grandmother as he remarried after her death).Thanks again for the help.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default ELIMINATED

ELIMINATED
    A William Walter Mckay lived at 15 Park Street Lane Park Street ST Albans with his parents William G McKay & Mary in 1930, there is a 1917 attestation paper for him which indicates he is single

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast