Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Civilians joining the RAF in 1918

Hello,
    I have discovered that my Grandfather joined the R.A.F. in 1918 "as a civilian". Could anyone explain what this means please ?
    I do know that he was posted at RNAS Newlyn. Many thanks in anticipation of an explanation !
    Maxine.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Maxine,
    Welcome to Brit-Gen.

What was your grandfather's age & occupation at that time?

The RAF had only just been formed (1/4/18) see:-

https:// en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force#Origins

https:// en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Flying_Corps

https:// en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Naval_Air_Service

To use the links Copy&paste into the address/search bar and remove space.
    (I've broken the links as there is some debate as to whether direct links to this site are allowed under Brit-Gen T&C)

Civilians would not be considered as part of the RAF personnel but would probably be expected to obey military discipline.

I can think of a number of reasons civilians were employed, especially if the required skills were not available in the current RAF staff.

1. Airfields were just that FIELDS with wooden huts for personnel and canvas hangers for the planes.
    They would require maintenance; Ag. Labourers/Groundsmen or Gardeners to look after the grass field. Carpenters for the huts and Tent/Sail makers for the hangers.

2. The aircraft were constructed of wood, 'canvas' and wire, so woodworkers/carpenters for the airframe and propellors, tailors (the 'canvas' was usually a cloth of some type rather than tent canvas) and someone used to working with light wire cables, for the flight controls and wing bracing stays. They would also need motor mechanics for the engines, something of a rarity in those days I would think.

Please note this is just my opinion/suggestions and should not be view as definitive. I'll readily concede to someone more knowledgeable.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

Hi Malcolm,
    thankyou so much for all the information you have given me. I believe Grandad was some kind of manual worker, but as yet haven't discovered in what. He would have been in his early 20's in 1918 so I have wondered why I can't find him in service before that date as all of his brothers seem to have been.
    Many thanks again, Maxine.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Maxine,
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxine A View Post
    . . . why I can't find him in service before that date . . .
    If you mean armed services. 60% of WW1 records were destroyed during WW2. Medal Record cards and some Pension Records still exist.
    Records for personnel still in service after 1920 are held by MOD. Don't know if this applies to civilian employees.

Have you found your g'father in 1911 Census? He may already have been working by then.
    If you have trouble finding him, post his details here and someone will be along to help. They really are marvellous at rooting out info.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Read this - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rce-personnel/ it may give you some clues.
    DO you mean he joined the RAF in 1918, not previously having service in any form of the military, or he was still a civilian working for the RAF?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Reputation beyond repute

I have discovered that my Grandfather joined the R.A.F. in 1918 "as a civilian".
    What documentation exactly did you find?

You need his marriage certificate and the birth certificates of his children. These should state his occupation at that time.

Maxine, what was his name? It's much easier to check sources if you know who you're looking for!

The RAF was formed from men already serving in one of the other services plus civilians with suitable skills (eg members of flying clubs). They regarded all sorts of skills - mechanics, signals, etc etc.

If he did join later, it's possible that his occupation was one of those regarded as "reserved" during the early part of the War (eg miners) but which was removed from the reserved list in the later stages as more men were needed....

If he was still in the RAF during or after 1921, MOD will still have his service records, to get a copy you will need 30 pounds and a copy of his death certificate. See the message HERE. These records should answer your questions.

Hi Malcolm,
    he is just described as a general labourer on the 1911 census so that isn't much help.
    Thankyou again, Maxine.

Hi Peter,
    thankyou for your response. I have discovered his joining in 1918 in RAF records online. The certificates just describe him as a labourer.
    Thanks again, Maxine.

Hi Lesley,
    thankyou for your help. His name was Joseph Henry Amos and I have only found him described as a general labourer. I cannot find any trace of him between 1911 and 1918 and in 1919 I found him back living in Birmingham again.
    Many thanks Maxine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast