Christening Date 04 Feb 1776
    Christening Date (Original) 04 FEB 1776
    Christening Place BRAY,BERKSHIRE,ENGLAND
    Father's Name Thomas Phillips
    Mother's Name Elizabeth

Kind regards.
    Jen.

Citation
    "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQ16-6VX : 6 December 2014, Elizabeth in entry for Hannah Phillips, 04 Feb 1776); citing BRAY,BERKSHIRE,ENGLAND, index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 88,197.

What is the source for the Anne Phillips baptised 1776 with parents William and Anne Phillips. I have seen the original record and if you type William Phillips and Anne Goldsmid or any derivation of Goldsmid I can't see any link. There maybe other records not on Ancestry.Com but if so, this needs more wide spread searches.
    Where did Goldsmid come from?
    As for Hannah,you would need to say what your thinking was on the record and the link to John Phillips.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Hi Philip
    Sorry - only just seen the above!
    Firstly though, I found this:

Henry Lyons Phillips in the Cape Province, South Africa, Estates Death Notice Index, 1834-1956
    Name: Henry Lyons Phillips
    Death Date: 1901
    Volume: 6/9/437
    Reference: 3718
    Source: Master's Office / Orphan Chamber, Cape Town (MOOC)
    Source Location: National Archives, Cape Town (KAB)

Source Information
    Ancestry.com. Cape Province, South Africa, Estates Death Notice Index, 1834-1956 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2016.
    Original data:
    Cape Estates Death Index. Records of the Master's Office / Orphan Chamber, Cape Town. Cape Town Archives & National Archives, Cape Town.
    Description
    This collection consists of an index to death notices held by the Cape Town Master's Office, which were received as part of the administration of deceased estates for the years 1834 to 1956.

I am trying to get a copy of his DN to see who's names appear on it ?!?
    ALSO THIS:
    Henry Phillips, "England and Wales Census, 1891
    Name: Henry Phillips
    Event type: Census
    Event Date: 1891
    Relationship to Head of Household: Head
    Birthplace: South Africa
    Registration District: Holborn
    Sub-district: St. George The Martyr
    Ecclesiastical Parish: Trinity
    Parish: St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars And St George The
    County: London, Middlesex

Will this help???? May I take this opportunity of wishing you and your wife a very Happy Christmas and God's peace and blessings in the New Year !!
    Kind regards.
    Jen.

Jen
    Henry Lyons Phillips was born in 1827 and married Johanna Fitzroy in 1858 as several records confirm. The Henry Phillips in the 1891 Census was 43 in 1891 so could not be the same person. Interesting that his marriage record also confirms a middle name of Lyons and not Lyall.
    I will wait and see what data you receive on the Death Record for Henry. I have seen his portrait on the 1820 South Africa settler site.
    My very best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to you and your family.
    Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by JenBales View Post
    I am trying to get a copy of his DN to see who's names appear on it ?!?
    Is it the DN for Henry Lyons Phillips you want? DNs can be viewed free via Family Search

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...051&cat=331262
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Jen
    Based on the Death Record for Henry Lyons Phillips died 6 June 1900 age 72 farmer the names on the record are Johanna his wife who survived him; no details for the first names of his parents and no maiden name for his mother; his children John Henry Phillips, Louisa Jane Godfrey nee Phillips; Margaret Catherine Reynolds nee Phillips. Henry died at house of his son in law William Reynolds leaving no will.

Not a lot to go on other than the Lyons middle name.

Phillip

Thank you Sue - most appreciated. Wishing you a very happy Christmas.
    Jen.

Hello Phillip
    Firstly, Happy New Year to you and your wife. May peace and joy fill your lives and bring all you wish for in 2018
    This afternoon, I decided to try and continue with my last remaining obstacle - to find the parents of my John Phillips.
    Came across this site - and thought you would find it interesting!!
    SynagogueScribes.com
    Will Extract
    GOLDSMID Benjamin
    Reference NA782

Family Name GOLDSMID
    Forenames Benjamin
    Probate Date 1808 (8 Aug)
    Address Capel Court London and Rochampton, Surrey.
    Occupation
    Spouse Jesse
    Parents
    Siblings Brothers, Abraham (wife Ann), Asher (wife Rachel) and George (wife Rebecca). Sister, Pearl the widow of Magnus Joachim Moses, Merchant late of Amsterdam, Esther the widow of Elias Joachim, Merchant of Prescott Street and now the wife of Nathan Salomons, Broker of London, Mary the wife of Lyon de Symons of Great Alie Street; Sarah the wife of Daniel Eliason, Jeweller of Leman Street.
    Children Mary Ann, Hester,
    Grandchildren
    Other Relatives Ketubah for Jesse with Israel Levien Salomons and Esther Salomons of Clapton. Nephew, Abraham the son of George. Brother-in-law, Mark Prager the younger; Henry Prager; Joseph Prager; Sister-in-law, Louisa Elliot the wife of George Elliot and Mary Elliot the sister of George Elliot. Sister-in-law, Harriet Salomons the wife of Solomon Levien and Matilda Salomons now called Prager. Uncles-in-law, Mark Prager Sr., and George Prager. niece, Matilda Friedsburg? and her husband Joseph Friedsburg? Niece, Maria Levien and her husband Nathan Levien. Niece, Rose Joachim; Niece, Mary Ann Cohen and her husband Joseph Cohen. Daniel Mocatta husband of niece Ann Goldsmid. Pincus Salomon husband of niece Maria. Brother-in-law, David Alexander Lindo and his father Alexander Lindo
    Bequests Thomas Watson Esq and B******? Isaac Friedland and Nathan Salomons Jr.; Moses Zuntz and Joseph Schabraq; Edward Moses of Rose Lane; Moses Schi******? Edaward Daniel; William Du****?, Merchant of Philpot Lane; John Smith, Surgeon of Newington; Mark Sprott? Gentleman of Kings Road and James Phillips, Cuthbert Rippon and Thomas Nixon (Benjamin’s clerks); John Hamilton of the Crescent, Kingsland Road. Rebecca Green, Widow; Rev. Hershell; Abraham David Gompertz; Sir Thomas Moxon; Benjamin Goldsmid Elliot and his wife Lavinia; Joseph Hart-Myers and Joseph’s brother-in-law John Jacobs; Israel Moses brother of Edward Goldsmid; Mary Sturdy Catley in his employ;
    Executors, Administrators Abraham, Asher and George Goldsmid
    Witnesses Samuel Bonwick and Edward Allen Clifford Jr.
    Notes Great Synagogue
    NA Cat Ref Prob 11/1484

WHO ARE THE GENTLEMAN OF KINGS ROAD WITH JAMES PHILLIPS ???

and then:
    Will Extract
    PHILLIPS Coleman Lyon
    Reference NA403

Family Name PHILLIPS
    Forenames Coleman Lyon
    Probate Date 1838 (7 March)
    Address 19 Mall, Clifton (Bristol?)
    Occupation
    Spouse
    Parents Benjamin Lyon Phillips
    Siblings
    Children Mentioned but not named
    Grandchildren
    Other Relatives Matilda Aaron Joseph, Aaron Joseph, Hannah Aron Joseph and Elizabeth Joseph (niece).
    Bequests
    Executors, Administrators Frances Coleman Phillips, Benjamin Lyon Phillips, Joseph Joseph of 17 Paragon Streatham, Simon Joseph Joseph of 17 Paragon Streatham, Surrey and Aaron Joseph of 8 George Street, Minories.
    Witnesses Robert Brandon of 42 York Crescent, Clifton and Henry Riley M.D. of 18 Berkley Square, Bristol. Appeared Jones Spyer, Gentleman of 30 Broad Street, London.
    Notes Marriage of Coleman and Frances GSM 302/15. Marriage of brother Benjamin to Hannah Aron Joseph is GSM 333/36. In 1828 the patnership dissolved between CLP, BLP and JL. Phillips, Manchester Warehousmen of 38 Minories, trading as Lyon Phillips and Sons. Then in 1838 the partnership with Benjamin Lyon Phillips of 17 John Street Crutched Friars was dissolved due to the death of CLP Gazette 19644. Lyon (Judah) Phillips was the son of Kalonymous (Rabbi). Lyon died in 1820 BSGSBur 414/3139.
    NA Cat Ref Prob 11/1892

What do you think ???? Sometimes I wonder if John is actually James.
    Kind regards.
    Jen.
    Last edited by JenBales; 11-01-2018 at 3:56 PM. Reason: ADD INFO

My best wishes to you and your family for the New Year.

If you remember, I referenced the Benjamin Goldsmid will because it named James Phillips as the clerk to Benjamin and also because when James married Benjamin and Hester were present at the wedding with a John Phillips as witnesses.
    You also know that one of my Hart line married into the Goldsmid line.

However, I have just discovered that I had Isaacs/Solomon relatives who married into my Crawcour/Simmonds/Jacobs/Levy lines and that these Isaacs/Solomon also related to the Goldsmid as in law relatives with Nathaniel Isaacs having significant connections to South Africa.
    I will research more on the SA connections just in case there are any references to a John Phillips possibly a Jew and 1820 SA settler.
    In the case of the Solomon/Isaacs lines the relationships exist between Nathaniel Solomon and Phoebe De Metz and Phoebe's sister Matilda de Metz - Matilda's line connects through marriages to the Salomons and Asher Goldsmid and through him to Augustus Goldsmid and Sir Isaac Lyon Goldsmid ( you will recognise Isaac Lyon Goldsmid through our earlier posts).

More to consider in the 2018 quest for identifying John Phillips b circa 1798!

Phillip

Hi Phillip
    Good to hear from you.
    I have a Jacobs in my Tree:
    Irene Rose Cawood Jacobs (born Glass) Aug 24 1884 in Bathhurst, Eastern Cape.
    Married Walter Harry Jacobs who was b. June 15th 1883 in Queenstown, Eastern Cape.
    His parents were Charlotte Louisa and Francis Jacobs.
    Jen

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast