Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Crimean War - Light Brigade

I recently learned from an 1881 Cincinnati Gazette newspaper article that my maternal 2nd great-grandfather, Mark King, was a soldier in the English Army.

Let me tell what I know and what I want to know at this time. According to the article, Mark King:

1. Born November 30, 1834 in Ballinrobe, County Mayo, Ireland.
    2. Soldier in the Crimean War from 1854 to 1855
    3. Enlisted in the English Army at age 16 on 11, December 1850 in Glasgow, Scotland
    4. 11th Hussars, Company B
    5. Departed for Crimea aboard the man-o-war “(HMS) Bulldog”
    6. Member of the “Light Brigade”
    7. Servant to Colonel James Brown, son of Sir John Cavendish Brown
    8. Wounded at Balaklava (thigh and heel)
    9. Receives medals from the Queen for bravery (Sevastopol, Inkerman and Balaclava), and good conduct
    10. Returns to Plymouth in 1855
    11. Arrives in the USA in 1857 Settles in Ironton, Ohio

Family lore suggests that Mark King may have changed his name. The story is he did so because of some trouble in either England or Ireland. There hasn’t been a means to verify this. His mother is believed to be Mary Kelly or Kelley born 1808 per the 1870 and 1880 US Censuses. She emigrated in the 1860s (exact date unknow) to the US and died 1890 in Ironton, Ohio. It is not known whether she was a single mother, remarried or divorced so the nature of her surname is not certain. Father is unknown.

If it is true that Mark changed his name, my first guess is that his surname might have been Kelly.

At this point, I am only interested in his service record as I want to determine the veracity of his story. If it is necessary to go back in time to get pertinent information I’ll make a decision at that time. I know, as I have experienced many times, the facts might be off or outright wrong for whatever reason.

I would like to add that he also fought for Union/North/Yankees during the American Civil War in the 2nd West Virginia Volunteer Cavalry Regiment from 1861 through 1864.
    Last edited by dhnadzam; 21-08-2017 at 4:07 PM. Reason: typos

Hi
    This is your man. Different birth date given
    Mark King
    Age at Enlistment: 23
    Enlisted 28 August 1861
    Rank at enlistment - Private
    State Served in - West Virginia
    He survived the War
    Service Record - Enlisted in Company G, West Virginia 2nd Cavalry Regiment on 28 Aug 1861.
    Mustered out on 29 Nov 1864.
    Born 11 Nov 1836
    Died Ironton, Ohio
    Sourced in the Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio

There is this baptism
    Mark King
    Baptism Age 0
    Born 1835
    Baptised 20 Apr 1835
    Baptism Place: St Mary's (Pro-Cathedral), Dublin city, Dublin, Ireland
    Parish Variants: St Mary's Pro-cathedral
    Diocese: Dublin
    Father: Walter King
    Mother: Mary King

This baptism does not match with the birth years he gives and his mother's married surname is King (which is also recorded on the 1880 US census). His mother may have been married to his father, then the father died and Mary King remarried a Kelly. As for Mark's various birth dates people weren't so precise about that sort of thing back then. He could also have been wanting to make himself appear younger/older.
    The big stumbling block is the place of the baptism but then again if he was trying to cover his tracks? Which record gives his place of birth as Ballinrobe, County Mayo?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, for the information regarding Mark's birth.

I already have his Civil War information and then some. It is pretty much the same as what you provided except that he entered as a corporal and was demoted to private in 1862.

What I desire is his military service record in the English Army. If it is non-existent then perhaps the newspaper story is untrue.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are various army records that exist for that period of time. That National Archives has a series of useful research guides that may help you:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...sts-1730-1898/

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...tia-1760-1915/

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-up-to-1913/

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rmy-regiments/

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who have provided assistance.

I didn't answer a question with regard to Mark's claimed birthplace, Ballinrobe, County Mayo. This was in a newspaper article where he was interviewed about the Crimean War and the Light Brigade. On his headstone and his 1901 obituary, Ballinrobe is not listed, only County Mayo.

There was no mention of the Crimean War in his obituary.