Default Searching for info on Great Uncle awarded DSO

Hello all,

I am currently searching for information on my great uncle who was awarded the DSO during the Second World War.

The family myth says that he was awarded the DSO for helping stranded soldiers during the Dieppe raid. I am not sure however if this is correct or not. It was said that he was too old to serve at the time of the Second World War, so volunteered. Any help or guidance that can be provided would be hugely appreciated. He sadly died in the 1970's so was never able to ask him.

Let me share a few details:

He was know as Reginald, however his first name was Herbert - his full name with initials were H R Williams.

I have a letter with the following signature details in:

H.R Williams
    Lieutenant Commander R.N.V.R
    H.M.S Westcliff

The letter was sent on 2nd July 1945

Thank you all so much in advance for any assistance.

George

Reputation beyond repute

As a first step, you should search the London Gazette

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

When searching, take account of the standard format used in the Gazette.

Many thanks Peter for your reply.

I have had a look at The Gazette and am struggling to get any information as it's not coming back with anything on 'Reg'. What do you mean by standard format?

Also a more general question - my understanding was that Reg was not able to serve in World War II, however if that was the case how would he have been able to receive the DSO - which I understand is for carrying out orders?

Thanks again to all

Kind regards

George

Reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by standard format?

I mean the way the Gazette normally reports such awards. If he was an officer I would expect his name to be shown in full. He was definitely Herbert Reginald Williams, was he?

I can't see an entry for him either. Sorry.

You know HMS Westcliff was a shore base?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Bit of fluke, just googled his name and RNVR DSO and got this - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../4324/data.pdf

Is that him on left hand side with another middle name of Hewett, certainly for the right raid.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Yes Robert that is absolutely him! Thank you so much for sharing this as I have been struggling to navigate The Gazette...

Would you, or anyone be able to provide some context of what might have happened at Dieppe? The family story goes that he went over in a civilian boat to rescue stranded soliders, but I have no way of knowing what actually happened.

Given HMS Westcliff was a shore base what would he have been doing there if he was a Volunteer Lieutenant Commander?

Many thanks

George

Reputation beyond repute

another middle name of Hewett
    which explains why I didn't find him.