Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    FindmyPast has a Royal Naval Division Service Record for a John ROWLANDS 1914-20 which shows he was born 1 May 1887, of 51 Herbert Street, Treherbert. I can't give you full details because of their terms & conditions, but does any of this information tally with what you already know?

Janet
    Many thanks for all your interest and help. We had tracked that Magaret Hannah at 14 was up in Jarrow with her family. she being the 2nd eldest and sister Caroline being the younger. As we spotted her Dad Joseph had gone blind 4 years previous, I guess it would be beneficial and company for her to come North if John was deceased, despite having inlaws still in Morriston . We had thought to establish where Owen had ended up. when he was ages 14 Owen lived in Lyons place with parents while John lived with grandma in Whyctree st./ Market st ? with grandma. all very close to each other. Owen is two years younger than John, and we only have him with one initial like John is. born 1889? It is such a mystery, but feel your support is very beneficial. We tracked school records in Morriston and found traces of Gweny and Daniel in up to 1915 with a previous school being TREHERBERT ? leaving Pentrepath 5th March 1915. You need local knowledge some of the time to establish where its a possibility as Gwenny was living at Wychtee st with grandparents while at school , according to the school register. No school registers were available for John Rowlands, but that's not unusual. Yet Danny came up on some being the youngest, different class of course. Off to running club now to clear our minds.for couple of hours : Many thanks so far. Yes Dannys info fits in with what we know from living relatives. Dudley looks industrial , mining so can see why Joe Johns maybe passed through. Cheers

janbooth

The school records are interesting as regards a previous school being Treherbert as that ties in with the Naval records of the John ROWLANDS that I found. Wonder where he disappeared to after he was demobbed? Hope your exercise clears your mind - I think you may need a clear head for the subsequent research!!

Janet

janbooth

A bit more information from the criminal record for Owen John ROWLANDS. He was born in Morriston in 1889, 5' 5", tall, and had a previous conviction on 22 April 1920 under the name Wm Jno ROWLANDS.

He looks to be in the 1911 census of Morriston married to an Alice and they are visiting James & Charlotte GARDENER at Morfa House, Wychtree Street.

Oh heavens, I have just looked on the Swansea Electoral Registers on Ancestry for Owen REYNOLDS and have come up with a REYNOLDS family in the 1924 Electoral Roll living at 46 Wychtree Street comprising William REYNOLDS, Gwen J REYNOLDS, John REYNOLDS and Owen REYNOLDS - this is surely too much of a coincidence! All still there in 1925 & 1926. By the 1927/28 Electoral Register, it looks as if William may have died as there are just the 3 inhabitants of no 46 - Gwen J, John & Owen. By the 1928/29 Register just Gwen J & Owen ROWLANDS are living at no 46 and they are still there up until 1931/32.

Narrows down the search a bit more hopefully.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Another avenue of investigation.

Many thanks for your last reply.
    We have been busy organising a long haul break to New Zealand so have been off the trail for a while.
    That was a good find with the Rowlands / Reynolds difference which gives us another avenue to investigate and sort through, the mine field does not get any easier to navigate through at all.
    Cheers Pam and Pete Best.

janbooth

I think I must be going loopy! Why did I type REYNOLDS as the surname when it should be ROWLANDS! I must have totally confused you so many apologies. The Electoral Registers of Swansea do indeed have the ROWLANDS family living at 46 Wychtree Street datewise as I have said in post 23. John ROWLANDS seems to disappear once more after the 1927/28 Electoral Register record and I cannot find a likely death registration for him - so far. There are several in Swansea but the birthdate does not correspond to your John ROWLANDS. Once again many apologies for the surname error.

Janet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123