Valued member of Brit-Gen

new question from Doreenh Australia

Looking for confirmation on marriage date and parents for:

Edward Challinor b.1868 Kidderminster, married 1889? Kidderminster to Florence May Bird b.1859 Birminghamshire.
    both moved to Australia. Edward d.1942 and Florence 1913. They had a son (one as far as I know) born 1884 Kidderminster named William. he married Alice Green in Australia in 1915.
    thanking you
    doreenh

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a tree on Ancestry with the names you are researching,some of dates are slightly different.
    The tree has different facts suggesting Edward has a first wife who was the mother of William. It suggests Florence May Bird was a second wife without any marraige details.

It also has only William living in Australia and both Edward and Florence living and dying in England. There is no evidence on the tree of them marrying or together on census.

Tree Owner : Janice Challinor - Challinor Family Tree

janbooth

Doreen,

If William CHALLINOR was born in 1884, then he is unlikely to be the son of a marriage in 1889. The only Florence BIRD I can find born c1859 in Birmingham is this one in the 1861 census of Birmingham (RG9/2134, folio 86, page 11):

Bristol Street, Court 7, House 2

Frederick BIRD Head Mar 38 Printer Warwickshire Birmingham
    Lucy do Wife Mar 26 do do
    Harriett do Daur 4 Scholar do do
    Florence do Daur 1 do do

This Florence BIRD would appear to be in the 1871 census of Birmingham shown as the niece of the head of household William PRESSDEE (RG10/3097, folio 79, page 4) living at 298 Bell Barn Road.

There is a Florence M BIRD in the 1891 census of Birmingham (RG12/2376, folio 61, page 12) working as a Domestic Servant in the household of an Albert LANCASTER at 224 Gt Colmore Street who could be relevant to you.

However, I can find no marriage for an Edward CHALLINOR to a Florence M BIRD nor a birth/baptismal record for either Edward (1868 plus or minus 2 years) or his son William in Kidderminster.

It would be helpful if you could let us know what information you already have which leads you to believe that Edward was born c1868 in Kidderminster and that he married a Florence May BIRD. When did they migrate to Australia?

Janet

janbooth

Ancestry has the actual parish register baptismal record of Florence BIRD: born 17 May 1860, baptised 1 November 1869 at St Luke, Birmingham, daughter of Frederick & Lucy BIRD, Droitwich Road, Worcester, Printer.

There is a marriage registration in the December qtr 1882 at Birmingham reg district for an Edward CHALLINOR and one of the other names on the page is that of a Mary Emma FREEMAN. 1891 census of Birmingham (RG12/2430, folio 15, page 23) shows the following:

Edward CHALLINOR Head Mar 32 Hardware Merchants Clerk Walsall Staffordshire
    Mary E do Wife Mar 35 Birmingham Warwickshire
    William E do Son S 7 do do

Could this perhaps be your Edward & William CHALLINOR. I am a bit dubious about your supposed birthdate for Edward as if William was born in 1884, Edward would only be 16 at that time - not impossible but perhaps somewhat unlikely. Death registration for a Mary CHALLINOR in the March qtr 1909 at Birmingham, aged 54. Birth registration for a William Edward CHALLINOR in the September qtr 1883 at Birmingham reg district, mother's maiden name FREEMAN.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

The names Janet has given are the same names in the tree on Ancestry #17.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
    Edward Challinor b.1868 Kidderminster, married 1889? Kidderminster to Florence May Bird b.1859 Birminghamshire.
    both moved to Australia. Edward d.1942 and Florence 1913. They had a son (one as far as I know) born 1884 Kidderminster named William. he married Alice Green in Australia in 1915.
    Did William CHALLINOR and Alice GREEN have children Alan, Edna, Eric and William (all deceased)? If so then you have the wrong parents for him. Do you have his marriage certificate?

He died in 1956 (from my resource - loved father of Alan, Edna, Eric and Bill, aged 69 years), and wife Alice had died in 1941, same children named.

Death
    CHALLINOR, WILLIAM RICHARD
    19617/1956
    Parents: THOMAS & JEMIMA
    Registration District: CHATSWOOD

He is probably Richard William CHALLINOR born at West Bromwich in 1887 to Edwin/Edward Thomas CHALLINOR and Jemima BIRD. They were living in Kidderminster in 1901 and 1911. I think Edwin and Jemima forgot to get married.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Janet,

Thanks for the heads-up regarding a new thread being required.

I've deleted the message you originally wrote in message #3 because it now wouldn't make sense.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

janbooth

Thanks, Pam. I knew one of the Mods would soon sort it out!

Janet

janbooth

And thanks to Dundee as well!

Janet