Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for Ann Peacock.

Hi. I am looking for any information on a John Patrick Mahoney and Ann Peacock.
    I have contacted the State Library of South Australia and they gave me the Marriage Certificate.
    John and Ann were married at the Trinity Church in Adelaide S.A. on the 3rd June, 1839. John having arrived in Australia on the immigration ship "The Lady Emma". on the 3rd March, 1839.
    Their marriage certificate reveals that John Patrick Mahoney came from Poplar, Middlesex, England, and that Ann Peacock came from Shenley Hill in Hertfordshire. But they gave no parents names on the certificate. I was wondering if ANYONE may be able to help with the English census, or any records regarding these two people.
    Kindest regards, Sandy.

FindMyPast has the baptism (transcription) of an -

Ann Peacock, 3 Oct 1819, place Shenley, Hertfordshire, father not named, mother Mary Peacock.

Do you have a possible birth year for your Mary Peacock?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    The UK censuses didn't start until 1841 so your couple will not be on a census. Do you any birth years (approx)? Do you have their death certificates?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hello Chrisenel and Helachau, thank you for your attention, any info gratefully received.
    As far as I know Ann was born in 1818 or Abt then and died on the 24/10/1893 in Adelaide South Australia. What you have just found sounds very close Helachau. I have John Mahoneys birth as 1815 in Middlesex and he died in 1868 but I do not have an exact date of death for him. I dont have a birth year for Mary as I didnt have her name. I know that John came out on the "Lady Emma" but as far as I know he came out alone, But I made a Boo Boo in my original post, he was supposed to have arrived in 1837, not 1839. I really have nothing else on them other than that.
    Kindest regards Sandy.

Settling in

Thanks all for this assistance.
    The information that I have found is that John Patrick Mahoney arrived in SA in 1839 - from Launceston on The Lady Emma.
    I am interested to find out how both Ann Peacock and John P Mahoney arrived in Australia.
    Many thanks - Robin

FindMy Past has the following transcriptions -

Baptism
    Mary Peacock, 17 Jan 1802, place Shenley, mother Elizabeth Peacock, father not named.
    Marriage
    Mary Peacock and William Weade, 18 Dec 1821, place Shenley
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

Thank you Helachau for this information. I wonder whether Ann came out to Australia as a servant - or convict. I'm hoping to find out how our families arrived here - but so far unsure re John Patrick Mahoney and Ann Peacock.
    Thanks - Robin

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FindMy Past has the following transcriptions -

Baptism
    Mary Peacock, 17 Jan 1802, place Shenley, mother Elizabeth Peacock, father not named.
    Marriage
    Mary Peacock and William Weade, 18 Dec 1821, place Shenley
    Oh wow, Thanks Helachau. This is really awesome. This really helps and finally getting somewhere.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by SandyBSandy View Post
    Their marriage certificate reveals that John Patrick Mahoney came from Poplar, Middlesex, England, and that Ann Peacock came from Shenley Hill in Hertfordshire. But they gave no parents names on the certificate.
    This is a church record, not a marriage certificate as civil registration did not commence in SA until 1842. I have never seen a place of birth on an early church record, how is it worded? Were John or Ann previously married?

Quote Originally Posted by Robintow View Post
    The information that I have found is that John Patrick Mahoney arrived in SA in 1839 - from Launceston on The Lady Emma.
    A John MAHONEY was on the Lady Emma which left Launceston on 21 Feb 1839. This was the 136 ton barque Lady Emma, not the 300 ton merchantman which was formerly HMS Philomel. If you think this was your John and his first daughter Ellen Mary was born/baptised on 3 August 1839 then he must have had a relationship with Ann since at least Dec 1838 or he wasn't the father.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyBSandy View Post
    I know that John came out on the "Lady Emma" but as far as I know he came out alone, But I made a Boo Boo in my original post, he was supposed to have arrived in 1837, not 1839.
    What do you have that tells you he arrived on the Lady Emma?

Hi Dundee.
    Yes there is the problem with him meeting, getting married and having Ellen, its so complicated. There is also a John Mahoney that arrived on the Hibanian (or something similar to that) and it sank off the coast of Tasmania and he was rescued and then came to S.A. But I will have to go back and have a look through all my data. I am also relying on other peoples research Dundee. So my head is in a spin atm. Is there a way of putting copies of Documents or photos in these threads?.
    Sandy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast