Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Sandy
    you can post the relevant parts of documents or photos by clicking on the window frame to the right of the world globe which is in the row of symbols above the reply box. Then you browse your computer for the specific image, click on it, then on Open and then click upload.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

Out of all the States, South Australia has the least number of surviving immigration records. A lot of what we know comes from the newspaper reports and so you have to be pretty lucky to find anything for those who came directly to SA. Many immigration records for SA and Victoria don't give enough information to be able to positively identify anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyBSandy View Post
    I have John Mahoneys birth as 1815 in Middlesex and he died in 1868 but I do not have an exact date of death for him.
    John was just deceased by 1868 according to his daughter's marriage notice, he didn't necessarily die in that year.

SNODGRASS — MAHONEY — On the 21st November, at the residence of the bride's mother, Wheal Barton, by special licence, by the Rev. Peter Barr, Mr. Robert Snodgrass, Truro, to Sarah Anne, fifth daughter of the late Mr. John Patrick Mahoney.

The marriage registration shows that it took place at the residence of William EDWARDS.

Ann had a relationship with Joseph PETNEY from at least 1851 when a son was baptised and after his death she remarried as PETNEY to William EDWARDS in 1859. I can't see a marriage to PETNEY in South Australia but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. By 1859 they were recording father's names on marriage registrations and Ann named her father as George PEACOCK. If she was illegitimate she may have just made up the name. Her death in 1893 confirms her birth year as being about 1819.

Another of the old residents of the neighbourhood, Mrs. Ann Edwards, passed away last Wednesday at the age of seventy-four years. The deceased has been residing here for the past thirty years, and latterly advancing years have prevented her from getting about very freely, but otherwise she apparently enjoyed fair health. Her death occurred very suddenly at her daughter's residence at Barton. The deceased was interred in the Truro Cemetery this afternoon in the presence of a good number of relatives and friends, by whom she was much esteemed. The Rev. W. H. Newbould conducted the funeral service.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/53624814

So John was either deceased by 1851 or they had separated. You can't really assume that he was deceased by the time Ann remarried either because she may have reasonably assumed that he had died if she hadn't seen him for 10 years.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FindMyPast has the baptism (transcription) of an -

Ann Peacock, 3 Oct 1819, place Shenley, Hertfordshire, father not named, mother Mary Peacock.
    Possible proof that you are on the right track with Ann's baptism. Mary PEACOCK married William WADE in 1821 at Shenley and they came out to SA in 1849 with their children. Checking the post 1837 GRO indexes confirms that the mother of the children listed on the manifest was a PEACOCK.

https://www.theshipslist.com/ships/au...oney1849.shtml

I went looking for Daniel William MAHONEY, son of John and Ann born c1841 because I couldn't find him in SA, and he turns up in Queensland.

Pioneers of Bundaberg

Daniel William Mahoney, born in South Australia 1840; landed in Queensland 1860; came to Bundaberg 1870; was engaged in timber-getting at first, and then carrying to Mount Perry, having been paid to open the road to that place; opened the road to Eidsvold station and brought down the first load of wool to Bundaberg; is now farming, and prosperous. Has six sons and three daughters.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/ar...636993/2349961

Daniel died in 1911 and his parents on the death registration are named as John MAHONEY and Ann WADE.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-de...story-research

An old identity of the Bundaberg district has -passed away in the person of Mr. Daniel Mahoney, who was a resident of 37 years' standing.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/ar...920008/2499172

Note that there were two men named Daniel MAHONEY who died that year, yours is not the one who died in a prison cell.

Hi Dundee, Thank you so much that is awesome. The name Petney rings a bell. you asked about where i got the info for John Patrick Mahoney coming to Australia on the Lady Emma. Its from a response from the State Library of South Australia. See transcribed copy below.

The information is as follows.
    Reply: in response to the following question.
    I am seeking details of the records of the marriage of JOHN PATRICK MAHONEY and ANN PEACOCK on 3/6/1839- At Trinity Church.

Our response: As follows.
    Regarding your inquiry for John Patrick Mahoney and Ann peacock, we have attached a copy of the marriage registration. Their parents’ names are not shown, but this gives the information that John Patrick Mahoney came from Middlesex, England and that Ann Peacock came from Shendley, Hills, Hertfordshire, England (most probably Shenley)
    We have not be able to ascertain their parents but John Mahoney came to South Australia on the “Lady Emma” from Launceston on the 3/3/1839.
    Last edited by SandyBSandy; 20-08-2017 at 5:47 AM. Reason: wrong name

Just to say again, thank you so Much Dundee, thats a lot of information. I will be checking that all day LOL. so much appreciated. Thankyou again.
    Sandy

Settling in

Default Ann Peacock and John P Mahoney

Thanks all for your time and effort. Some info that I have found:
    The marriage certificate for 3/6/1039 refers to John Patrick Mahoney Bachelor - and Ann Peacocke Spinster.
    The Ships List for the 'Lady Emma' includes a John Patrick Mahoney - arriving SA from Launceston 3/3/1839.

There was a John Mahoney who was a seaman on the 'Hibernia' that burned near Rio de Janiero - survivors were taken to Rio and then to Hobart. There are several mentions of the name John Mahoney on the list of crewmen at Launceston- but no proof that either of these 2 references are JP Mahoney.

I am hoping to find information that 'lands' our family in SA - we are descended from Ellen Mary Mahoney, daughter of John P Mahoney and Ann Peacock.
    Thank you - Robin

Settling in

Default Ann Wade

I have found that an Ann Wade arrived in SA on the 'Trusty' in May 1838. I am assuming this is Ann Peacock.
    Thanks to all who provided info that has assisted - Robin

OKAY,I have totally hit a brick wall here with John Mahoney
    Born in Middlesex in 1815. I cant find anything past that.
    Can anyone help?
    Sandy

Settling in

Default John Patrick Mahoney

John Patrick Mahoney arrived in South Australia on the Lady Emma from Launceston in March 1839. He married Ann Peacock - who came to SA as Ann Wade (her mother Mary m William Wade 2 yrs after her birth.) She died as Ann Edwards and was buried in the Truro cemetery.

I cannot find information re:
    - John Patrick Mahoney's arrival or birth in Australia
    - His death - I cannot find info re this in SA records

Children:
    - Daniel William was born in Truro, SA - but lived and died in Bundaberg Qld.
    - Ellen Mary married Owen Mobbs - she died at Murray Bridge, SA
    - Elizabeth m a Mr Edmunds/Edmonds
    - Sarah Ann m Robert Snodgrass
    - Mary Ann may have m Dr Horace Nutt

Hoping someone can assist with further information.
    Thank you, Robin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12