Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Angry Just need to vent....

Working on Ancestry - found a record for one of the convicts that I am interested in relating to his court martial in their data set "UK, Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930", which is from the National Archives series WO 86/1, but to see the original document as opposed to their sanitised 4 line summary which tells me nothing I didn't already know I have to pay a subscription to Fold3!!!

If you read the National Archives guidance notes then they lead you straight to Ancestry.co.uk and no mention of Fold 3.

Before anyone says I could do a weeks free trial - apparently I did so in 2007 ......................................

I just think that as I pay for a worldwide premium subscription that ought to be enough!

End of venting.

southistle

I sympathise or is it sympathize? Fold 3 is one of the pay sites that you can access at family history centres if there is one near you.

I am with you on this one Megan
    I am sure Fold3 used to be part of the world sub and then suddenly it wasn't.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I agree, needed to look at fold 3 the other day and found I had to pay for it and like you all thought is was free as part of our subcription package of ancestry. Maybe we need to look at the t&C

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Seems there are quite a lot of people who are unhappy with what can only be described as money-grasping Ancestry.
    I did a google search for 'Fold 3' and found links to the WDYTYA magazine forum, and on page two of the results links to a Rootschat forum which included the information that Fold3 is available for free at LDS FHCs. It also says that some of the Fold3 records are available for free or a small fee via TNA website.

The third result on page 1 mentions British Commonwealth of Nations Military Records - the implication being that Australia, New Zealand, etc military records are going to be put on there too. (Australian WW1 Service Records already are.)

Ancestry's T&Cs are the usual gobble-do-gook, which basically means that they're right and the customer is always wrong, though section 10 Modifications to these Terms and the Service seems interesting.
    "With respect to any changes to the Terms that involve material adverse changes, such as deteriorated entitlements or higher costs, we will offer subscribers an opportunity to opt out of such changes for the remainder of their paid subscription (with the effect that we continue to apply the previous version of the Terms or allow the subscribers who are opting out to terminate early subject to a pro-rated refund of prepaid fees), if and as required by law."

I read that as them saying that they will allow you to have the same access as before until you next renew your sub.
    Trading Standards might say the same.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

It seems to be more and more money, all the time, from eveywhere.

Bucks Archives had a free download for Marriage Bonds. Now you have pay to get one result, and a copy of it.....£5.+ £2.p&p.

Good job I downloaded it, when I did. 15000 names, not including spouses.

Fold3, is another rip off. So......what next will Anc, outsource.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

I have asked Ancestry, via their Facebook page, to tell me the difference between, their Worldwide membership which gives:

"Access our entire library & all new releases" and "Explore comprehensive military, immigration & Irish records" and their 'Ancestry All Access subscription' which you apparently need to see the Fold3 records, since their "compare memberships" feature does not do it for you.

I will let you know if and what they reply and what they say............

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks Megan, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply from Ancestry. Or, at least, not a logical one.

I would also refer the matter to Trading Standards as per my comment in post #5

I read that as them saying that they will allow you to have the same access as before until you next renew your sub.
    Trading Standards might say the same.
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

My Question to Anc..........!

'What level of Ancestry access do I need, to look at Fold3 for free'.

I just got this reply.

'Dear *****, to access records which are available on Fold3, you will need to upgrade to the All Access subscription. Please feel free to give us a call on the number below, our support team would be happy to help you right away.'

Phone number: 0800-404-9723.

I asked these two questtions and hour ago..............

Is that the World wide package..... €197.49(euro's) per year, or €21.93(euro's) per month. Does that price include VAT.

£179.99 & £19.99 ........what is the VAT rate, if purchased from Ireland. And how much VAT is there, if it's not included in the price of membership.

No reply as yet.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

I have received a reply of sorts - which tells me to phone their membership team to discuss it further, so I have just posted back a proverbial no way - and the fact that Ancestry are unwilling to put in writing a comparison between a Worldwide sub and an Ancestry All Access sub will leave everyone very suspicious of their motives.

It is nice to know that I am not alone in thinking that this wrong!

Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast