Thread: Traveller.

Keith Daniells

Default Traveller.

If for instance a brides father put his occupation as a Traveller on her wedding certificate. would it mean that he was simply a travelling salesman? And if so in the early 1900s could that include selling drapery?

Hi Keith, it could indicate he was a travelling salesman, and if he was then he could have been a drapery salesman. However, be aware that Romanies were often described as travellers.

If you'd like some help to establish if you are looking at the right marriage post details of what you know and we'll try to help.
    Alma

Keith Daniells

G'day. It comes direct from the 1903 marriage certificate. the marriage was between Frederick Coulthard and Mable Smith. Parish of Bramwells? Northumberland. Father William Smith Profession Traveller.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Keith, it could indicate he was a travelling salesman, and if he was then he could have been a drapery salesman. However, be aware that Romanies were often described as travellers.
    Sorry almach, I would challenge the above - I think that's the modern (PC) version.

I grew up (1950-1970) in the "shop life". My Dad sold everything - from loose sultanas (in a box - delicious to dip into!) to biscuits, nails & screws, sewing threads, writing pads, paraffin (drawn from a tap linked to a huge tank on the outside wall) to curtain material. There were no Cash & Carries, no supermarkets.
    Everything was bought from a "Traveller" (probably short for a Travelling Representative). There was the Smith's Crisps Traveller, the Sylko Traveller, the Robinson's Drinks Traveller, the Corona Traveller ... hundreds of them! It was a respectable job.
    (Morris cars even produced the "Morris Traveller" - they wouldn't have called it that if it was a word with cheap connotations).

"Romanies" were called "Gypsies". For me as a child, there was no slur to the name, although I've read that in urban situations it became a derogatory name. (I longed to be a Gypsy! They had horses, and beautiful caravans, and lived in the open air.)

So perhaps in 1903, a Traveller was indeed what we would call a Rep?

Jane

So perhaps in 1903, a Traveller was indeed what we would call a Rep?
    Yes, I think so, but I was offering a possible alternative.

Hi Keith the 1911 census says Mabel was born Newcastle. She's with her married sister Florence Dick in 1901, Florence 28, Mabel 19.
    RG13; Piece: 4769; Folio: 80; Page: 8

1891. RG12; Piece: 4194; Folio: 64; Page: 31
    William Smith 50, draper, Scotland
    Annie Smith 39, Northallerton Yorkshire
    Florence Smith 17, Sunderland
    William Smith 15, Sunderland
    Ernest Smith 11, Middlesbrough
    Mabel Smith 9, Northumberland
    Fred Smith 7, Northumberland
    Lily Smith 5, Northumberland
    Nellie Smith 2, Northumberland
    Alma

I believe you can safely assume William was a commercial traveller selling drapers goods.
    1881, Bishopwearmouth. RG11; Piece: 4997; Folio: 138; Page: 91
    William Smith 37, Draper.
    Annie Smith 29
    Florence Smith 7
    William Smith 4
    Alfred Smith 2
    Ernest Smith 1
    Alma

Keith Daniells

That was the 1891 census that I had found but just wanted to marry the two, Traveller/Draper together. Always good to get a second opinion.
    Thanks so much................