Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Can anyone decipher this, please?

Hi, For some weeks I've been puzzling over the words accompanying the occupation of a likely relative of mine in the 1851 census returns. Comparing letter by letter with others written by the same enumerator it looks like: Mdsp. Cheesemonger, and beneath the latter (1 man). Only the word Cheesemonger is clear enough to read. The references for this are: HO107 Piece: 1495 Folio: 130 Page: 45 All the best, TFWard

Dundee10

I think it is Master Cheesemonger, [employing] one man. If you have a look at the pages around this one you will see that the enumerator has added prefixes to a lot of the occupations to clarify. You will see the same notation on page 42 and to others he has added an abbreviated 'Journeyman'.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    I think it is Master Cheesemonger, [employing] one man. If you have a look at the pages around this one you will see that the enumerator has added prefixes to a lot of the occupations to clarify. You will see the same notation on page 42 and to others he has added an abbreviated 'Journeyman'.
    Thanks, Dundee 10. I think Master Cheesemonger was my first stab at deciphering it, but trying to analyse the handwriting in detail it seemed that the up and down strokes of the pen were in the wrong places! Also, Richard Davey seems to have had something of a patchwork of jobs and I wondered if this would be the case with a Master Cheesemonger who I'd imagine would remain in the trade for most of his adult life. Richard Davey is listed as a cheesemonger at the birth of his first child (also Richard), but for all the rest is listed at their baptisms as an omnibus conductor! In 1841, he's a carman; then only in 1851 has he reverted to cheesemongering again because in 1861 he is working in a warehouse and in 1871 has become a tobacconist. Although I've been unable to prove a direct relationship with him, I've taken an interest in his history because it very closely follows that of my gt. gt. gt. grandfather John Davey, who lived just along the same street from Richard in 1841 (in Marylebone) and was also recorded at various times as being a cheesmonger and a carman. Unfortunately my ancestor died in 1846 so I haven't been able to determine if, like Richard he was born in Chittlehampton, Devon. His wife, however, who lived beyond 1851 is listed in that census as having been born in 'Devonshire'. Enough of my rambling, and again thanks. TFWard.