Titanicfan

Default 1966 Air Crash Research Help Needed Please

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find information on behalf of someone about their relation who was a passenger and was killed in the Britannia Airways crash on the 1st September 1966 in Ljubljana, Yugoslavia. I wondered where would be the best place for me to find a report on the list of passengers killed on the flight; and also I want to try to order the death certificate and wondered if I should search the overseas death index or consular death index? Any advice would be most welcomed. Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Below is what I found on Wikipedia when I Googled the crash - there are some references that may be a help to you. Apologies for the strange format but I simply copied and pasted into this reply.

Britannia Airways Flight 105 was a scheduled passenger flight from London Luton Airport for a flight to Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport (known as Brnik Airport at that time). The flight was operated by Bristol Britannia G-ANBB with 110 passengers and seven crew on board. The aircraft crash occurred on 1 September 1966 at 00:47 during the approach, when the aircraft struck trees[2] in the woods between Lahovče[3] and Nasovče[4] under cloudy conditions.[5] Ninety-eight of the 117 passengers and crew died in the accident.[2] The reason cited for the accident was a wrong setting of the altimeter.[6]
    References

Slovenia since 1991.
    "The Britannia aircraft approached Ljubljana runway 31 at night when it crashed into trees". Aviation-safety.net. 22 April 1966. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
    "Največja letalska nesreča pri nas." 1966. Kamniški občan 5(5): 15. (in Slovene)
    "Letalske nesreče pod drobnogledom." (in Slovene)
    "95 Persons Perish As British Airliner Crashes in Yugoslavia". Indiana Evening Gazette. 1 September 1966. p. 3. Retrieved 13 August 2014 – via Newspapers.com. open access publication – free to read
    "Altimeter setting in doubt at Ljubljana". Flight International. Vol. 94 no. 3105. 12 September 1968. pp. 397–398.

Reputation beyond repute

For the full story, spend a day at the National Archives (or tell your friend to) and browse the official reports

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ro=any&_st=adv

For news stories (including passenger names) use the Times Digital Archive - readily available free of charge through most public library services.

The Times of Friday, Sep 02, 1966 has a report of the crash on the front page and a list of passengers and crew on page 15. No doubt the list is refined in subsequent issues.

Titanicfan

Thank you, David and Peter for your very helpful replies.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Titanicfan View Post
    Thank you, David and Peter for your very helpful replies.
    You are very welcome. I used to have a series of aviation books dealing with airline crashes but sold them a few years ago when I became more interested in family history research.
    If you want to add some "meat" to the story have a look at this web site:
    https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=19660901-0

Also try putting the following inside inverted commas in the Google search option - I got a few links to sites dealing with the crash including a YouTube video clip.

"Britannia Airways crash on the 1st September 1966 in Ljubljana, Yugoslavia"

David