Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Default Major Harry Charles Rogers SA

Not sure if this is the correct place for this query.

I am trying to trace the later years of Harry who was my mother's uncle. Born 1864 Bristol . Father Sydney, mother Sarah.

He became a Salvation Army Officer and married Jane Alice Stafford in Newcastle on Tyne in 1888.
    They had three daughters , Alice.Lilian and Violet.

As SA officers they travelled around the country quite frequently and I have them in Southampton 1890,Loughborough 1891, Stoke on Trent 1898 and Hull 1911 but nothing after that date.

Alice married and had two sons but I believe the other daughters did not marry.

I have contacted the SA Retired Officers' Unit but their records do not go back far enough, in fact many were destroyed in the WW blitz on London.

What I am seeking is Harry's movements after 1911 until his retirement and death (details not known of date) and any other info regarding his other stations around the country.

Thanks in anticipation of any help or leads on this.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Regarding his general movements in the SA, the newspapers have one or two mentions of him. For instance The Manchester Courier, August 1906 states he was publically installed as Divisional Officer for South Manchester Division. So if you have not already done so research into newspapers may help to fill out his SA career.

Mrs P

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

I have just received some details from SA Heritage team which answers most of my queries. Sufficient certainly to put together notes for the Family File. Pretty smart going and much appreciated.
    Harry, who died in 1938, reached the level of Divisional Commander (akin to a Bishop) and the rank of Lt Colonel.
    Thanks to all.