Starting to feel at home

Default A question about marriage banns

I have found a record from 1851 which lists the groom's father and his occupation. I have his father down as having died in 1845. If he was dead by 1851 would his occupation still be listed or would he be recorded as 'deceased'?

Growing old Disgracefully

I do not know about Marriage Banns but the Marriage Cert. I have has both the fathers Occupation/Profession and Deceased under his name.

A fountain of knowledge

The information in such documents is only as good as that provided by the informant, and often depended on the way the questions were asked and answered AND how those answers were interpreted/recorded by the clerk.
    I have one marriage certificate where the father is simply "Dead". The informant was illigitimate.

Also, what denomination Church? Church of England, Scotland, Catholic, many others and they all had their own ideas...

If someone was a little nervous, being asked who the father was and what did he do, it might not occur to mention that he was dead.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Some might say the father was dead when he wasn't, but had deserted the family some time previously. I have seen one where the "father" blank had the mother's name - not surprisingly, the bridegroom was illegitimate.pwholt

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have this example..my GT Aunt listed her father as deceased in 1910 on her marriage cert but he was still alive on 1911 census...future siblings who married later didnt note him as deceased..guess he was dead to my Gran..I think he did desert them.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

My son's 2011 marriage certificate ( Methodist so the Registrar was present) has the bride's father as deceased, it was only as they were looking at it prior to the son 'stuffing' it in his pocket that the error was spotted. Father had walked the bride down the aisle, it was explained that as this was a legal document an amendment needed to be made, the word deceased was struck out and initialled in the Parish register.

Ironically the Registrar knows the bride's parents quite well!!

A fountain of knowledge

Oh that is priceless!
    I'll bet someone was even mortified.