Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Day

Default Stanley Day

Hi I do not have a lot of I formation and not really sure where to go from here
    I'm looking for Stanley Day who is September 1943 was in Perth Western AUstralia and stated he was a member of the Royal Navy

Hi
    Here is The National Archives guide torecords for the Royal Navy (UK)
    With so little information to go on it will be very diificult to find this man. Also Our Terms and Conditions do not allow us to post details of living/possibly living people so it may be that if anyone does find anything they will have to contact you using our private messaging system. To do they click on the posters name and choose Private message from the drop down menu.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I'm looking for Stanley Day who is September 1943 was in Perth Western AUstralia and stated he was a member of the Royal Navy
    Not enough information, presumably you have some idea of the age of this person!

The date 1943 was during WW2 was he 'visiting' Perth with the RN or had he left the RN to make a new life in Perth....

What is his relationship to you?

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Not enough information, presumably you have some idea of the age of this person!

The date 1943 was during WW2 was he 'visiting' Perth with the RN or had he left the RN to make a new life in Perth....

What is his relationship to you?
    Hi i know im looking for a needle in a hay sack, technically he would be my grandfather

my mother was adopted at birth ( she never knew this ) she passed away in 1968

i found my mothers birth mother who passed away in 1987 ( never meet her )

At the time of birth my mothers birth mother signed a affidavit stating the name of the father ( due to outdated laws in Western Australia this affidavit has only just been released from the childerns court )

it states I met Stanley Day in September 1943 who at that time said he was a member of the Royal Navy
    once i realized i was pregnant i began looking for Stanley but never found him

Best guess is he was visiting Western Australia , dose not know about the child & due to time lapsed has passed away

Between 1913 and 1925 there are 25 births registered in the UK for Stanley Day. Add to this another 56 of those with middle initials and your task is enormous.
    It has also to be taken into consideration that he may have been lying when he said he was in the Royal Navy.
    WW11 service records are held by the MoD but cannot be applied for without a death certificate of the person concerned so another avenue is closed to you.
    Stanley may also have been using his middle name as his first name if he wanted hide his true identity.
    Have you tried looking for Royal Navy ships that were in Australian waters in 1943?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks Christina at this stage 75 births with that name doesn't sound that bad

Fremantle had 1663 war ships docked in 1943

I know it's going to be hard but and help is very much appreciated

The Salvation Army run a "lost family" tracing service and seem to have access to records we don't. With so little info to go on, they may not be able to help, but it might at least be worth asking them what they think.

You could reduce the number of ships from 1663 by calculating when he had to be there from birth data, and checking how many of them were actually RN.

BTW, you'd be surprised at how many WW2 servicemen are still with us, that's why we can't assume that any of them are not and allow publishing of their details.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    The Salvation Army run a "lost family" tracing service and seem to have access to records we don't. With so little info to go on, they may not be able to help, but it might at least be worth asking them what they think.

You could reduce the number of ships from 1663 by calculating when he had to be there from birth data, and checking how many of them were actually RN.

BTW, you'd be surprised at how many WW2 servicemen are still with us, that's why we can't assume that any of them are not and allow publishing of their details.

Thanks Lesley , from the records ive found is that the day my mothers birth mother discovered she was pregnant her father shipped her away to a roman catholic convent and all records where destroyed straight after the birth ?

are you able to point me in the right direction say warships RN August / September in Fremantle 1943

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi. Have you tried the free Australian newspapers on Trove - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/?q= Hope that works. If you search Warships Fremantle many hits come up but you can narrow it down by month and year. It may give you a starting point as to what ships were arriving and leaving.

Mrs P

I was thinking, rather, of 9 months before your mother's birthday... You've given us that answer now, and it helps because it eliminates the 2 Stanley Days listed in the Commonwealth War Graves database as they died in 1940 and 1942. We now know that he survived the war.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast