Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Selina Nathan and Louis Cohen graves

Does anyone live near Edmonton Jewish Cemetery? I have Selina Nathans grave info.I am coming to London next month, how amazing to see a picture of their graves and hopefully visit. Selina Nathan District Edmonton. Vol 3A page 967 is what I have for her. Louis Cohen died January 1902, Dartford, Vol 2a, Page 473....Is that a different cemetery?
    I would love to find Henrietta Jacobs.2 Jan 1939 • London, and her husband, 23 Apr 1934 • Stepney, Joseph Jacobs (Jalosky)
    Thanks again

Jacqui
    For you and other researchers see the International Jewish Cemetery Project-England London and the link to Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain website. The Project website gives important details on all of the London Jewish Cemeteries including contacts. For example, the Edmonton cemetery lists the names of individuals and dates of burial.
    I have not posted significant data because it is important for researchers to look carefully at the website data on each cemetery and also look at the Cemetery Scribes records which include tombstone photographs.

Researchers might also want to use the British Jewry website where listers have made requests for help with photographs of tombstones.
    It should be noted that various cemeteries are not fully open to the public and requests to visit are required.
    Phillip

Jacqui
    You refer to the GRO Death Index record for Selina Nathan June qtr 1942 Edmonton 3a 967 age 81 and then to the Edmonton Jewish Cemetery for a photograph of her tombstone. I have looked at the Edmonton Cemetery data base of names - the data base is from 1890-June 2016 and lists 36800 names. I can see no Selina Nathan recorded.
    Do you have any evidence that she is buried in Edmonton are you going on the registration area for her death record? I ask because people may not have been buried in their area and Edmonton covers several districts.
    In addition, London was heavily bombed in WW2 and cemeteries were hit. Individuals including one of my own family who were killed in WW2 were not always buried in their area.

You may want to look very closely at the International Jewish Cemetery Project data base on each cemetery in London so that you can identify what records may or may not exist particularly if you are visiting the UK.
    Phillip

Jacqui
    Edmonton Jewish Cemetery Project- Bluma JALOSKY 18 May 1836 age 69 D1437 V2 42 28

The Jewish cemeteries close to Dartford Kent are East Ham and Waltham Abbey but if you look at when they were opened or closed the dates don't tie up with any possible burial for Louis Cohen. He may well be buried outside the area.
    My strong advice is to look at Free BMD and the link to the specific area of registered death. This will give you indications of the localities covered by the records. Many London and other areas changed boundaries over periods of time.
    Phillip

Reputation beyond repute

I would not assume that the registration district is necessarily going to provide a good pointer to the place of burial.

Deaths are registered in the district in which the person died, not where the person used to live. Dartford for example housed several hospitals serving patients from inner London areas.

If you don't already know where the people were living or where the next of kin was living, you need to get the death certificates which may shed more light on the real localities involved.

Jacqui
    Peter is correct in his statement regarding the registration district. The GRO Death Record will give more details. In addition, it maybe the case that for Jewish burials the individual was buried close to their immediate relatives but this depends on when and where they died. In the case of my own relatives, burial with husband/wife/children was not always possible because some of the older Jewish Cemeteries closed. In addition, the Western Synagogue as an example was bombed WW2 and most records were lost. However, Hyamson and Colyer-Fergusson did make notes of burials and other events pre WW2 including the Western Synagogue but these do not extend to many families as my own researches at the Society of Genealogists London have shown.
    Phillip

Jacqui
    Have just looked again at the Jewish Cemetery Records and noted:
    SELINA NATHAN 19.4.1942 SECTION 1 ROW 18 PLOT 1195-EAST HAM CEMETERY.

Phillip

Jacqui
    East Ham Jewish Cemetery Marlow Road East Ham London E6 3QG- London Borough of Newham-opened in 1919- see also Cemetery Scribes East Ham Jewish Cemetery records and photos of Tombstones for Abraham Nathan d 1919 and Katherine Nathan nee Lyons d1927- Can't remember if these Nathan relate to your lines but just in case.
    phillip

Jaqui
    Looking at the threads you have posted on the Jalosky/Nathan/Cohen I noted that there is no data census on the lines. As a help and for other researchers these are the lines appearing in the 1911 Census. This family appear in 1 family tree on Ancestry.Com. Jacqui, can you please confirm that this is your tree or that you have access to the data.
    1911 Census (Copyright,TNA) RG14 1578
    19 New Road E
    Isaac NATHAN H 57 Married Cigar Maker b Holland Amsterdam Dutch
    Hatty JACOBS Daughter 20 tailoress b London Whitechapel
    Joe JACOBS son in law 28 bootmaker clicker b London Whitechapel
    Selina NATHAN wife 50 Married 22 years 3 children all alive Resident Dutch

US Social Security Applications and Claims Index
    Hetty Cohen; spouse Joseph Jacobs; child Hannah Jacobs Hughes

I will post further.
    Phillip

Looking at the Ancestry.Com family tree on the lines it is clear that Selina Defries had 2 marriages- 1st to Louis Cohen 1862-1902- his father Israel Cohen rag merchant. Marriage 26 May 1881. Selina was 22 and Louis a tailor 21.
    Selina then re- married to Isaac Nathan 45 bachelor cigar maker 9 April 1899. Selina was 40 a widow- Witnesses Herman De Vries and Beny Glantz. Nb This data is taken from the marriage certificate data posted on the family tree and I have no way of confirming accuracy.

It would make sense for me to post data on these lines because the children of Selina come from her first marriage to Louis Cohen.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast