Loves to help with queries

Default My last resort on Bartholomew & Ernest Ahern

I’m not sure whether I should be in this area, however, will start regarding my two second great uncles who were the sons of John Ahern and Rosanna Ahern nee Mooney. John and Rosanna married in Dublin, Ireland in 1847. John Ahern had joined the 68th Regiment Light Infantry many years before and fought in many places including Canada and the Crimea. His record shows below where you can see his history and family details.

https://crimeanwar-veteranswa.com/vet...-c/ahern-john/

My appeal here is to find details regarding his two sons, Bartholomew and Ernest Ahern who apparently died (they were young children) at the Crimea. In those days, wives and children followed their husbands/fathers to the war zones. Bartholomew and Ernest’s birth dates (1848 & 1849) shown on Anc.are only guesses as are their death dates. Their place of birth is unknown. There was also a daughter, Maryann Ahern, born on the 24th May 1850 thought to be in Ireland but after trying to find her birth record, maybe it was somewhere else. She was my great grandmother.
    I would very much like to find birth and death records for Bartholomew and Ernest Ahern which confirms that their parents names are John and Rosanna Ahern and having those details, I can feel confident that I have the right two relatives.
    These records I’m looking for may never be found – you are my last resort.
    Thanks to all who may be able to find what I cannot.
    Sandeea

Name well known on Brit-Gen

janbooth

Well, I haven't found anything concrete re Barthlomew or Ernest, but have found the baptism for Mary Ann. It took place on 9 June 1850 at Limerick St Mary. The actual baptismal image is available to view on FindmyPast, so I cannot give you full details but it is your Mary Ann - transcript shows her as M Anne AHERNE.

Janet

Checking "Stations of the British Army" in various newspapers the 68th were in Mullingar until September 1848 when they transferred to Galway.

In the same month the "35th replaced the 68th at Tullamore, Strokestown, Philipstown, and Castlerea". Whether wives accompanied their men to such locations away from the main barracks I have no idea.

They were at Galway until the end of 1850 when they transferred to Limerick and by April 1851 were at Malta.

The Catholic registers are on line and you may wish to check out the above locations in the remote chance they cover the period you are interested in and the children were baptised there. After all, you have mentioned "last resort".

I haven't a lot of time to spare at the moment (visitors and DIY) but will try and check out in more detail for other locations where the 68th are mentioned in Ireland

pob lwc/best of luck
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hi Janet - thank you so much for finding those details.
    Sandeea

Thank you helachau - it is so good to find out more details regarding my family. I will see if I can find anything further
    with the information you have supplied. If you have time, I look forward to seeing anything else you may find.
    Sandeea

Janet - I've just looked up Maryann Ahern's baptism. I am so happy. It shows her parents
    names and so I know it is the right one. Thank you, thank you.
    Sandeea

janbooth

It's a pleasure - just wish I could find out something more re Bartholomew & Ernest.

Janet

Hi Janet - I was wondering if the surname instead of being shown as Ahern, that it may have been shown as Herne, Ahearn, Ahearne
    and perhaps many other ways of spelling it. I do believe I have seen the grandfather of Maryann Ahern's name shown as Ahearn (Patrick). I have never found out anything about him though as my concentration has been on Bartholomew and Ernest to date.
    I will make looking for Patrick Ahearn for another time.
    Thanks for your assistance anyway.
    Kind regards,
    Sandeea