Default Searching for records on my Great Grandad

Hi Guys,

I am very new to this searching game so please bare with me

I am looking for more details on my Great grandad, i know he joined the Territorial Army in 1908 under number 1138 (James Gardner) however i am also told he was in the royal navy and fought in WW1 as well as the battle of Jutland. how could i find more information on him? i really want to piece everything together...
    So sorry for my poor knowledge!

Any help would be amazing!

Thank you

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    What is your g,grandfather's date and place of birth? This will help us search for him although a quick search I did didn't bring up any obvious results. Others may have more luck.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hello! thank you for helping me

i am trying to do my family tree at the moment so i am gathering exact details but i believe he was born in 1884 in Edinburgh or Motherwell.

I thought this was all be simple, but its really not. is it?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    What is your g,grandfather's date and place of birth? This will help us search for him although a quick search I did didn't bring up any obvious results. Others may have more luck.
    Christina

Quote Originally Posted by SezJGards View Post
    Hello! thank you for helping me

i am trying to do my family tree at the moment so i am gathering exact details but i believe he was born in 1884 in Edinburgh or Motherwell.

I thought this was all be simple, but its really not. is it?

Thank you
    You are so right!

For ancestors born in Scotland you need the pay per view site ScotlandsPeople. You can find basic information on there without paying but need the full record to confirm you are on the correct track. Unfortunately buying certificates is not an option to be ignored
    When you started this addictive hobby did you work backwards from yourself, your parents, their parents to get back to the James Gardner born 1884?
    ancestry and Findmypast are also pay per view sites and both have free versions in many public libraries. Yours may have one of them.
    I'll take a look and see if I can find anything.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

The James Gardner service number 1138 service records are on ancestry. This is lucky because 60 % plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11.
    he signed up in Motherwell in 1908 for 12 months. Discharged 10 May 1909.
    It also says he joined the 2nd Lanarkshire Royal Engineers Volunteer Corps in 1905 and served until 31 March 1908.
    Christina
    William Burroughs