Loves to help with queries

Default Dunningham-Hines families

H all,

I am just beginning tentative research into Dunningham and Hines lines, in particular to James Hines or Dunningham ( possibly used both surnames ) born Hadleigh c 1848 and would be intesested to hear from anyone else researching these families
    In 1851, he is aged age 3 living with John Dunningham in Angel Street and am looking to expand my knowledge of him. so any information eg a baptism would be very useful to begin with.

Regards

Tullamore

Rebecca Hines 30, Mariam (Mary Ann) Hines 13, Sarah Hines 3, John Dunningha 35, John Dunningham 15, in Hadleigh in 1841.
    HO107; Piece: 1022; Book: 8; Folio: 28; Page: 6.

1851, Hadleigh, HO107; Piece: 1790; Folio: 362; Page: 33
    John Dunningham 50, widow, Hadleigh
    Rebecca Hines 46, housekeeper, Selbury Essex
    Marian Hines 23, dau, Whatfield, Suffolk
    Sarah Hines 13, dau, Whatfield, Suffolk
    James Hines 3, son, Whatfield, Suffolk
    Betsy Dunningham 25, lodger
    John Dunningham 4, grandson

You need his birth certificate as the census isn't clear as to whose son he is, could be Rebecca's or Marian (Mary Ann's)
    HINES, JAMES, no mother's maiden name listed usually indicates an illegitimate birth. -
    GRO Reference: 1848 J Quarter in COSFORD Volume 12 Page 355

James Dunningham alias Hinds, labourer age 20, sentenced to 12 months hard labour 7th Aug 1868 for sheep stealing.

James Dunningham of Hadleigh was accused of horse stealing in May 1868. Essex Standard 13 August 1869
    Alma

This could be James in 1861, in the Reformatory School, Thorndon All Saints, indexed as James HINGS on Ancestry but the original sheet does look like HINES. There was a reference on one of the previous records I saw which mentioned he'd been in Reformatory School.
    RG 9; Piece: 1150; Folio: 142; Page: 27
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    This could be James in 1861, in the Reformatory School, Thorndon All Saints, indexed as James HINGS on Ancestry but the original sheet does look like HINES. There was a reference on one of the previous records I saw which mentioned he'd been in Reformatory School.
    RG 9; Piece: 1150; Folio: 142; Page: 27
    But..........there's another possible 1861, Cosford Union House Semer in the County of Suffolk. RG 9; Piece: 1136; Folio: 93; Page: 6
    James Hines 13, Whatfield. Also in the Cosford Union House Robert Hines 11, and Harriet Hines 16, both born Whatfield, so not sure he's your James as no mention of Robert or Harriet in the Dunningham household in 1851!
    Alma

Hi tullamore, I'm wondering what you know about Sarah Hines (1851 census). Did she marry William Swan? She's confusing me as I thought I'd found a possible sighting for James Hines/Dunningha in 1881. RG11; Piece: 523; Folio: 118; Page: 55; He's indexed as FLINES. However Sarah Swan appears to be married to James Swan, yet William Swan is still alive and with the children born to him and Sarah. I'll post census details for my ramblings to make some sense.

1861,Nayland, Suffolk, RG 9; Piece: 1128; Folio: 87; Page: 16;
    William Swan 23
    Sarah Swan 21, Hadleigh
    George W Swan 3
    Walter Swan 9/12
    Emma Hume 22
    Marriages Dec 1858, Sudbury 4a 886, William SWAN, also listed Sarah HINES.

1871, Nayland. All born Nayland. RG10; Piece: 1715; Folio: 89; Page: 12
    William Swan 34, married
    George Swan 13
    Walter Swan 10

1881,Goldie St, Camberwell. all Humphry's descibed as visitors RG11; Piece: 698; Folio: 120; Page: 61
    William Swann 48, Mayland [sic] Suffolk
    Elizabeth Humphry 28
    Emily Swann 14, dau, Mayland (with grandparents in 1871 RG10; Piece: 1693; Folio: 149; Page: 4)
    Alice S. Humphry 9
    William S. Humphry 8
    Herbert S. Humphry 5
    Charlotte S. Humphry 3
    Frederick S. Humphry
    Henry Pelvin 24, lodger.

William Swann[sic] married Elizabeth Humphreys Aug 1st 1881 at All Saints Walworth.

1891, RG12; Piece: 491; Folio: 30; Page: 50;
    William Swamp [sic] 54, widower, Nayland
    Elizabeth Swamp 38
    Alice Swamp 19
    William Swamp 18
    Herbert Swamp 15
    Charlotte Swamp 13
    Frederick Swamp 10
    Sidney Swamp 8
    Lizzie Swamp 3
    Lily Swamp 2

1871, St George, Surrey. RG10; Piece: 740; Folio: 179; Page: 45
    James Swan 23, carman, Roke? Suffolk, Sarah Swan 30, tailoress, Hadley [sic] Suffolk (indexed on Ancestry as SWEN)

1881, Surrey Buildings, Southwark St George, London
    James Swan 35, carman, Suffolk
    Sarah Swan 43, Suffolk
    William Swan 10, Surrey
    James Swan 9, Surrey
    Ada Swan 7, Surrey
    James Flines 30, brother in law, Suffolk
    Mary A Flines 25, sister in law, Middlesex

SWAN, ADA BEATRICE, Mother's maiden name HINES
    GRO Reference: 1874 D Quarter in SAINT SAVIOUR SURREY Volume

SWAN, JAMES, MMN HINES
    GRO Reference: 1873 M Quarter in CAMBERWELL Volume 01D Page 803

SWAN, WILLIAM, MMN HINES
    GRO Reference: 1871 S Quarter in CAMBERWELL Volume 01D Page 654

There's a possibility that James Swan was infact James OSBORNE, the couple's three children all seem to marry as Osbornes'. James (son) married in 1904 and his father, James, was described as carman, deceased. Also when Ada married in 1895 her father (carman) was deceased. William married 1889 father (carman) not described as deceased, so possibly James snr died 1889 - 1895.

Oh dear, I seem to have managed to pose more questions than answers! Does ANY of the above make sense to you?
    Alma

Hello almach,
    I know exactly how you feel, more question than answers but I have only just began researching Hines-Dunninghams, so very early days.
    With regard to Sarah H, 1851, sorry I have not looked into her so do not have any information to share with you at this time.

Where I'm at just now with my James H search is as follows:

waiting for a copy of a birth cert which I believe to be his, this should be with me in a few days and I will post details for you as it may help you going forward. The parentage of the three children, Marian, Sarah and James were unclear on the 1851 census. but I am fairly sure this is "my" James.
    The J H I am tracing back would have been in the kent area on 1881 census night with Mary Ann Hines formally Cowell / Couell ( I havnt found a marriage if one exists ) Their son, also James was born on 5th July 1881 in the Union Infirmary Greenwich, Co of Kent and had further children including the direct decendent on my tree in Crayford, Kent.
    James Snr had a tandancy to use both Hines and Dunningham throughout his life and in later years Dunningham seems to have evolved into the name of Donovan.
    Later children were baptised as Hines -Donovan and the family were also Donovan on both 1891 and 1901 census.
    James H Snr died in 1927 in Crayford and seems to have lead a rather colourful life to say the least and building up a profile of him has been my greatest challenge over a number of years.

Apology, if I have created even more confusion.I will be very happy to exchange ideas and information as I progress and will bear you in mind if I find anything positive on your Sarah.
    Can you post what details you have,if any about her just as a starting point.

Regards, Tullamore

Quote Originally Posted by tullamore View Post
    Hello almach,
    I know exactly how you feel, more question than answers but I have only just began researching Hines-Dunninghams, so very early days.
    With regard to Sarah H, 1851, sorry I have not looked into her so do not have any information to share with you at this time.

Where I'm at just now with my James H search is as follows:

waiting for a copy of a birth cert which I believe to be his, this should be with me in a few days and I will post details for you as it may help you going forward. The parentage of the three children, Marian, Sarah and James were unclear on the 1851 census. but I am fairly sure this is "my" James.
    The J H I am tracing back would have been in the kent area on 1881 census night with Mary Ann Hines formally Cowell / Couell ( I havnt found a marriage if one exists ) Their son, also James was born on 5th July 1881 in the Union Infirmary Greenwich, Co of Kent and had further children including the direct decendent on my tree in Crayford, Kent.
    James Snr had a tandancy to use both Hines and Dunningham throughout his life and in later years Dunningham seems to have evolved into the name of Donovan.
    Later children were baptised as Hines -Donovan and the family were also Donovan on both 1891 and 1901 census.
    James H Snr died in 1927 in Crayford and seems to have lead a rather colourful life to say the least and building up a profile of him has been my greatest challenge over a number of years.

Apology, if I have created even more confusion.I will be very happy to exchange ideas and information as I progress and will bear you in mind if I find anything positive on your Sarah.
    Can you post what details you have,if any about her just as a starting point.

Regards, Tullamore
    ps I have had an opportunity to go over your census info in particular to 1881 and I do not believe that this is my JH and MA Hines mis transcribed as Flines. Mary Ann Cowell was born c 1859/1860 Witham in Essex.

Hi tullamore, I seem to have managed to confuse you, not surprising as I easily confuse myself! The people mentioned on this thread are not my ancestors, I posted their details in an attempt to help you in finding some background for James Hines/Dunningham.

Please do post details of the birth certificate when it arrives. I'm happy to try to help with your query, if I can. I'll continue to try and find any records which may be of interest.
    Alma