Growing old Disgracefully

Smile Lesley John Holland

Looking for Lesley John Holland married Maud May Allen Darlington 1936 Had 3 children, divorced remarried had 4 more children with a Maureen at this point surname unknown. Can't find his birth.

His father also Lesley Holland cant find anything about him.

This is what I do know
    Both where Sergeant Majors in the Army

Son Lesley John Holland possible he was at Sandhurst Military Academy.

Father Lesley Holland was in India with the Army and died and is buried there.

Where do I look for Records of Army on India ?

I think its possible that Lesley Holland married an English girl in India and their son Lesley John was born in India.

Any help for where to look would be welcome.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Do you have the certificate for the marriage in 1936?

The only Holland /Allen marriage I can find in Darlington in 1936 is between a Leslie H Holland and a Maud M Allan

Leslie H Holland/Maud M Allan Sep 1936 Darlington vol 10a p 5

I can see a couple of births in India for a Leslie H but neither have father named Leslie.

I would suggest that, if you are certain the Darlington marriage is correct, you get a copy of the certificate. This will give you father's name and occupation.

Emeltee

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    Do you have the certificate for the marriage in 1936?

The only Holland /Allen marriage I can find in Darlington in 1936 is between a Leslie H Holland and a Maud M Allan

Leslie H Holland/Maud M Allan Sep 1936 Darlington vol 10a p 5

I can see a couple of births in India for a Leslie H but neither have father named Leslie.

I would suggest that, if you are certain the Darlington marriage is correct, you get a copy of the certificate. This will give you father's name and occupation.

Emeltee
    Yes this is the right marriage I haven't got the cert as I only started this family tree for my sons partner yesterday. She has given me the information I have posted in my first post.

Lesley and Maud had 3 children (they are still living) they then divorced and both remarried Lesley to Maureen and had 4 more children and Maud to Michael from Ireland no more children.

I have just been going through Passenger List on Find my Past to find Hollands going to India and found some who could be possible candidates for this family. T. knows from her mum that her Dad was in the Army and that her Grand Dad was also in the Army he died and is buried in India. T. tells me their are 3 Lesley's 1 her brother 2 her father and 3 her Grandfather.

Where did you find births in India not looked for anything there before so don't know where to look.

I have found a female L. B. Holland b 1885 married with son John age 10 dept London - Bombay 1914
    also again in 1920 London to Bombay L B Holland this time age 30 born 1890 with master J Holland age 6

1891 London - Bombay. G L Holland b 1861 Merchant
    1899 London - Bombay. Capt G L Holland.
    1903 London - Bombay. Maj G L Holland married with him is Mrs and Son + Ayah
    1907 London - Bombay. Maj. G L Holland - Gent with Mrs - Lady
    1912 London - Bombay. Lt. Col.G L Holland. Indian Army born 1861 age 51

Knowledgeable and helpful

The births in India were on Findmypast which is why I haven't given any further details as it is against the terms and conditions.
    I can't see a marriage in India for a Leslie Holland.
    I really think you ought to get the marriage cert to confirm names, occupations etc.

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

I would get his death certificate and then work backwards in the conventional way.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I would get his death certificate and then work backwards in the conventional way.
    Peter I don't know when he died all I know at the moment is what I've been told that he is buried somewhere in India I will ask again to night for more information I've gone back on the other side of the Family The Allens a long way as they are all from Chelmsford Essex.
    I rely need to know where to look for army in India which is all new to me.