Famous for offering help & advice

Default Elizabeth Harbord? Who were your parents?

Hi

In October 1752 in Norwich, Norfolk, Elizabeth Harbord married Dennis Helsdon at St Peter Parmentergate, Norwich. They had their first known child Dennis in 1756. Followed by Robert 1757, Benjamin 1760, Mary 1761, Rebecca 1763, Allen or Ellen 1771 and Henry 1773. Dennis Snr died in 1804 aged 76. Elizabeth Helsdon (Nee Harbord) died in June 1828 aged 97. (So born c1731).

I was always lead to believe that the Elizabeth Harbord baptised in 1733 at St Simon & St Jude, Norwich, daughter of Robert and Rebecca Harbord (sometimes spelt Herbert/Harboard) was the right one. And with Dennis and Eliz Helsdon having children called Robert and Rebecca, Bingo. But Dennis did have a brother called Robert and I think his grandad was Robert Helsdon. And Dennis had a brother who had a daughter called Rebecca Helsdon. And I then found in December 1756 an Elizabeth Harbord married at St Simon & St Jude to William Davey, the same church to where the 1733 one was baptised to Rob and Rebecca. Witnesses names to the 1756 wedding do not ring a bell. Robert and Rebecca died in 1771 and 1763 respectively and both buried at St Simon & St Jude.

So it seems there were 2 Elizabeth Harbord's born around the same time. I have a feeling they may have been cousins.

An Elizabeth Harbord was baptised in 1734 at St Julian Norwich but she died as a baby.

I then came across a wedding in 1766 of a Sarah Harbord to Thomas Dewing at St Peter, Parmentergate and one of the witnesses was Dennis Helsdon. Same church to where he wed Elizabeth in 1752. So it does seem Sarah was a relative of Elizabeth. Sarah Dewing died in 1817 aged 88 so born c1729. Robert and Rebecca did not appear to have a daughter called Sarah.

I have a feeling that Robert Harbord may have had a brother called Joseph. No baptisms have yet been found but a Joseph Harbord died in 1758 aged 57. For a long while, Joseph and Eliz Harbord lived in a parish just south of Parmentergate called St Peter Southgate. They had a son Benjamin who died in 1738 aged 4.

It seems they may be the same couple who wed in Wymondham in 1725, Joseph Harbord wed Eliz Brereton in 1725. They had a son William in 1726 then Rachel in 1728. There seems to be a gap in the baptisms as their next baptised child Benjamin was in 1738. He died as a baby in 1739 and probably named after his namesake older brother who died in 1738. They must have had children born inbetween 1728 and 1738 and this could explain why no baptisms for Sarah and Elizabeth have yet been found, or for the Benjamin who died aged 4 in 1738. A Joseph Harbord died in 1775 aged 47 so born c1728, may have been a son of Joseph born c1701. I have checked non conformist and nothing yet.

Small update.

In 1765 according to Norwich window and land tax records, a Benjamin Harbord is listed at St Peter Parmentergate, Norwich, the same parish that Elizabeth Helsdon nee Harbord was living at. Also a Benjamin Harbord was baptised in 1739 to Joseph and Elizabeth, named after his 2 older brothers (born 1734 and 1738) who died in infancy.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you looked at wills at all, Benny? You don't mention that, and it might be very helpful. Any for the two surnames of interest in Norfolk from 1700 to 1750+. Both Norfolk and PCC. pwholt

Hi I have since looked and cannot find any wills for Robert, Rebecca or Joseph and Eliz Harbord but a Joseph Harbord left an administration bond in 1785 and I found a Joseph Harbord buried in Norwich in 1785 aged 57. He had children by then so one of them may have been listed but I could check it out. I am more inclined to think my Eliz was daughter of Joseph and Eliz and not Robert and Rebecca but any more evidence will be good.

Another update. It looks like the case is solved. Forget Joseph and Elizabeth Harbord. Looks like her parents were Benjamin Harbord and Mary.

Benjamin Harbord is listed in church rates for 1761 to 1765 in Parmentergate, Norwich. In March 1766, a Sarah Harbord is listed. Sarah married Thomas Dewing in September 1766 in Parmentergate and Elizabeth Helsdon (Nee Harbord)'s husband Dennis was one of the witnesses to the 1766 wedding. I found that Benjamin Harbord died in January 1766 aged 65. He married Mary Buddery in 1724 at St Peter Mancroft, Norwich and I then found an Elizabeth baptised a few years later, daughter of Benjamin and Mary.

Benjamin was baptised in Norwich in 1703, son of William and Sarah Harbord. When Elizabeth Harbord married Dennis Helsdon she had children called Benjamin and Mary. The family may have links to Aylsham as a George Harbert was baptised in 1708 son of William and Sarah. Benjamin wed at the same church he was baptised at.