Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lonsdale, Robinson, Cheshire, Manchester

Hi. I am looking for a possible family connection to a Mary Ann Lonsdale (nee Robinson) who lived in Holly Cottage in Styal Cottage, Cheshire in the middle of the twentieth century. I do not have a birth or death date but she gave birth to a son in nineteen thirty one in Salford. The child was born while she was married but was not her husbands son. She may well already had children or have had more since. She was a receptionist of some description in a doctors surgery and it is believed a Doctor was the father of the child.

Not much to go on I am afraid but if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful. There is a elderly gentleman in my family who has never been able to find anything out about his real parents, the clock is ticking.

Do you have your friend's birth certificate?
    Do you have the marriage certificate for the Robinson/Lonsdale marriage? This would at least give you her age which could help in the search. Also it would give her father's name and occupation which could lead to other family members.
    The Salvation Army do have a Family Tracing service here
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Regrettably not. Unfortunately the gentleman in our family we refer to has only his own birth certificate on which his mother Mary Ann Lonsdale nee Robinson was named and the location of the birth in a mother and baby home in Eccles. He was then given up to his own family but not sure if adoption was ever recorded.

If you know her husband's name then you can find the marriage on FreeBMD and order the certificate from the GRO online.
    This research guide at The National Archives may help you find whether the adoption was through the legal processes
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Frustrating but no husbands name either.....only that he was a Lonsdale since that appears to be her married name. You see the problem. I can't even find a Mary Lonsdale nee Robinson marriage for the era, even by guessing that they might have married somewhere between 1920 and 1935.....??

She may not even have died a Lonsdale....could have remarried.

There is a marriage in Sept 1/4 1921 vol 8d page 397 on FreeBMD of an Albert Lonsdale to a Mary A Robinson Manchester registration district. There are other Lonsdale marriages but not Cheshire or Lancashire and not to a Mary .
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not quite sure how this fits together,

You have a birth certificate for a ? LONSDALE born Eccles mother Mary A Lonsdale nee Robinson. Is the 'baby' known by his birth certificate name or did he have another given name & surname?

You have his date of birth have you checked the 1939 Register? Try using just his dob if you think there may be another name!

Holly Cottage in Styal Cottage, Cheshire
    Should this be Styal Road Styal / or Altrincham Road Styal....both roads have Holly Cottages on!

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There is a marriage in Sept 1/4 1921 vol 8d page 397 on FreeBMD of an Albert Lonsdale to a Mary A Robinson Manchester registration district.
    Same marriage indexed on Lancsbmd - Took place at Manchester Cathedral registers at Manchester CATH/21/77

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Not quite sure how this fits together,

You have a birth certificate for a ? LONSDALE born Eccles mother Mary A Lonsdale nee Robinson. Is the 'baby' known by his birth certificate name or did he have another given name & surname?

You have his date of birth have you checked the 1939 Register? Try using just his dob if you think there may be another name!

Should this be Styal Road Styal / or Altrincham Road Styal....both roads have Holly Cottages on!
    I read the query as the 'baby' is still living so will be a closed entry on the 1939 Register.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast