Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Help with grandfather's WW2 service record

Hope this post is in the right place ... I'm after some help or guidance please.

I have obtained my grandfather's army records from the Army Disclosures Centre but I'm struggling to make much sense of them - trying to decipher the various codes and abbreviations (despite the list of abbreviations provided) has left me "googling" all over the place. I would like to find out where my grandfather was posted during WW2 and what he was involved with.

So far all I know that he enlisted in September 1939 with the RASC and seemed to be a driver of some sort. From his service record I can see various dates of postings but I don't seem to be able to see where he was posted to.

My dad has always understood that his father was injured at Dunkirk and evacuated. My grandmother went down to Dorset to be with him and my aunt was born down in in Sherbourne in April 1942 but I can't see any reference to Dunkirk in his records.

I'm hoping that perhaps someone on here can point me in the right direction as to a way of understanding the contents of his record. I'm wanting to basically "translate" the whole record so that I can then show this to my dad. Is there someone on here who'd be willing to take a look at it and help me out please?

Once I know what companies/divisions he was with and where he was posted I can then do more digging around to try and fill out his military history to get a better picture of my grandfather.

My dad never knew his father as it seems that his parents split up sometime between his birth in March 1945 and the end of the war and as such his dad never came home after the war and my dad never got to meet him. We have only ever had one picture of my grandfather and that was at his wedding in 1940 where he is dressed in his army uniform and is the absolute spitting image of my dad at the same age.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Several people have put the meanings of military abbreviations online. I have found the one HERE useful.

As to Dunkirk, don't forget that the names of things change down the years. The official name of the Dunkirk Evacuation was Operation Dynamo. However, his record may simply give a repatriation date which corresponds with the date of the evacuation.
    Similarly, postings (especially in time of war) are likely to be to specific units rather than places (the units might have been moving around, or there might have been more than one unit in a particular area.