Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Albert William Packer DCM, why was it awarded

Folks,

I am stuck I know that 51408 Corporal, Acting Sergeant Albert William Packer was awarded a DCM 1916-1918 whilst he was serving with 97th Field Company, 21st Division, 4th Army. He was taken as a POW on 22nd/23rd March 1918 at Epehy during the First Battles Of The Somme - Battle Of St. Quentin.

Ant pointers gratefully appreciated. I have tried the Gazzette but can only find amention in the 1920 summary list.

Many Thanks
    Raymond

The only place that I have ever found details about such awards when given during wartime is in the recipient's local papers. "Local boy makes good" sort of thing.

I can't find the DCM details, but when he was posted as missing, he was listed as a member of the Royal Engineers.

Famous for offering help & advice

Service records and medals etc are on Ancestry but it does not say why he received DCM,he was Acting Seargent at the time.

Would the TNA have more information?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you,

I forgot to put RE on the original request. I have tried to search newspapers but the only resource I have found is the British Newspaper archive. When it gets to direct access I seem to fail to even get to the paper. I even have all the war diaries and full service and family history. So the where, when and how on the DCM is getting infuriating.

Regards
    Raymond

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you,

I have fairly comprehensive service records and family history. I even have the War diaries. But this is my first time on a forum. What is TNA?

Regards
    Raymond

Sorry.The National Archives.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Sorry.The National Archives.
    Thankyou,

I had tried them before. Just tried again without success. Just gives me 2 versions of the medal card, which I have. That does not give recommendation or citation. I have also exhausted the TNA (learning acronyms!) help guides and followed all their links to WO files. No results found.

Regards
    Raymond

Don't despair. There are some very experienced members on here and some with lots of military knowledge. I'm sure when they read your posts they will be on board to help.
    Good luck.

Reputation beyond repute

Lesley has given you the best advice. You are extremely unlikely to find the information you want other than through local papers.

The source is not necessarily online. You may have to go physically not electronically to the National Library or the appropriate county record office. I would contact the record office and check what resources they have.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you,

I can visit the Gloucester Archives. It's just 2 stops on the train. I will see if I can e-mail them prior to attendance.

Regards
    Raymond

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast