Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default If you have trees on Ancestry & cancel sub

There's often a debate/query about what happens to any trees you've put on Ancestry but then cancel your subscription, and whether you can still access your tree(s).

I've just found this, dated March 2017, though there's nothing to stop the company changing their minds and the 'rules' in the future. https://
    support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/ka215000000TzydAAC/Accounts-after-Cancellation

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

At one time if you let your subs drop, you could still look at the original Census records you have in your tree. But now Ancestry have gone all mealy minded and prevented you looking.

They way to go, is download them, then upload them back to your tree. A bit of a faff...but it works. At least you can still see them, without subs. In fact. you can do that with all the original records, if you feel the need.(But don't tell anyone. ).

Oh, and it's amazing how many more hints you get notifications for your Tree, once you cancel your subs.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Actually I think the key bit that most people might not quite get is:

"Any records or media that you’ve downloaded to your computer will still be available to you after your subscription ends."

So if you have attached Record A, to your tree but not downloaded it your computer it may not be there for you after your subscription ends.

You can upload photos and records that you get from other places, because that helps attract new customers for Ancestry.

So if you are going to cancel or not renew your subscription make sure that you have a copy of the actual records on your computer.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

One slight word of caution. Keeping all your records on your PC, memory sticks,, CD's, or wherever they are kept, has it's risks. PC's and digital appliances can go into meltdown, and all can be lost. Use Ancestry as an online repository.

OR....email them to yourself, is another way to keep them safe. Your email Acc. wil always be available, whatever device you can access it from.
    Anc. has become so 'tight fisted', in the last two years, since all the 'improvements',(which i've yet to see where), it's not the site it once was. Site 'maintenance' seems to be a permanent process, and often restricts your access, with no recompense.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.