Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I should have looked under Golda Cohen on the records. These make better sense than the previous census data.
    School Admissions London -Settles School Tower Hamlets Golda Cohen age 5 b 10 Feb 1882 Admission 6 June 1887 father Louis Cohen 14 Nottingham Place.
    Then- 1891 Census ( Copyright,TNA) RG12 301 46 46
    14 Nottingham Road Mile End Old Town London
    Louis Cohen H M 29 Master Tailor b Poland
    Selina wife 29 b London Whitechapel
    GOLDA dau 9 b London Whitechapel
    Sam son 5 b London Whitechapel
    Fanny dau 1 b London Whitechapel
    +1 servant
    The dob for Golda of 1882 matches that for her wedding and later census.

Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Golda Cohen
    in the 1901 England Census
    Saved to
    Cohen, Augusta (Golda) in tree "sylvan/Sivan Family Tree"
    VIEW 1901 England Census

Name: Golda Cohen
    Estimated birth year: abt 1883
    Relation to Head: Niece
    Birth Place: Spitalfields, London, England
    Civil Parish: Whitechapel
    Search Photos: Search for 'Whitechapel' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
    Ecclesiastical parish: St Mark
    County/Island: London
    Street address:

View image
    Registration district: Whitechapel
    Sub-registration district: Goodmans Fields
    ED, institution, or vessel: 08
    Neighbors: View others on page
    Piece: 306
    Folio: 32
    Page Number: 11
    Household schedule number: 55
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Esther Woodberg 38
    Maria Salane 32
    Golda Cohen 18

Starting to feel at home

Boy, one can go down a rabbit hole here!
    Who was her uncle (see previous send) ... Augusta is niece?
    so many Golda Cohen's and death records, but how do we find out if this is her? Australia and US? My aunt has no more memories...

The rationale for reviewing the records should be to carefully check the data as far as possible. As you say, there are several Golda but cross checking with her age at marriage plus the 1911 census gives a base line. You now have her father's name. My thinking was to look at Golda aka Augusta to see if there were other family trees and then see what data they had for checking accuracy.
    You don't have any other data from your aunt so the evidence base is limited hence looking more widely. What you don't want to do is to look at any Golda/Augusta just because they share the same name and approximate dob. I saw the Golda niece record but was unsure about accuracy until further research confirmed or rejected the data.
    As for Mark, Alfred et al there is not a lot to go on and the use of family names may cause problems e.g. Henry aka Harry; Jeannette aka Ginnie
    Phillip

The Esther Woodberg who appears in 1901 Census at 65 Great Prescott Street age 38 with niece Golda Cohen is likely to be the one who married Harry Woodberg Oct qtr 1887 Mile End Old Town 1c 1092. Harry Woodberg-Esther COHEN.
    Whether or not Esther is related to Henry aka Harry Cohen requires confirmation.
    Her is Harry and Esther in 1891
    (Crown Copyright,TNA) RG12 87 106 17
    11 Portland Street St.James Westminster
    Harris Woodberg H M 29 Tailor b Merranpole? Russia
    Esther wife 28 Tailoress b Posen Portland

There is a JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Record for an Esther Woodberg but her dob is abt 1853 Death 16 August 1946 Johannesburg South Africa. Is this the same person with an incorrect dob?

Is Golda Cohen b abt 1883 in the 1901 census niece one in the same as Augusta/Golda. We need more evidence.
    Phillip

It looks possible that Harry aka Harris Woodberg and Esther settled in South Africa. There is a JewishGen Worldwide Burial Record for a Harry Woodberg died 18 Feb 1917 age 54 Tzi Ariye b Eliyahu Comments -wife/siblings Odendaalrus.
    The 1891 Census shows Harris Woodberg with wife Esther and gives him a dob circa 1862.
    I can't see the original death records for the Esther who died 1946 but do suspect she is the wife of this Harry but a full death certificate would be needed.
    Phillip

In #8 and 10 census records for Julius Moses showed him living with in laws with Wegel and van Wezel surnames. In #21 a Louis Cohen with wife Selina and daughter Golda are recorded and I suggested that Louis and Selina maybe the parents maybe the parents of your Augusta/Golda.
    Looking more closely at the records it appears that Selina is a Defries aka Devries who married Louis Cohen age 21 tailor father Israel Cohen Rag Merchant on 26 May 1881 Whitechapel. The witnesses Solomon Defries and Joseph Van Werzel aka Wezel. The person who posted this data on their family tree then suggested that Louis Cohen died in 1902 and Selina was a widow in 1899 when she married Isaac Nathan. As you can see from this last data there is a question of accuracy so I am checking very carefully!
    However, the last names Van Wezel and derivations are linked to Julius Moses through marriage.
    Joseph Van Wezel married Hannah Defries Oct qtr 1876 London 1c 168.

What I am suggesting, but this requires more evidence, is that Selina/Louis look potential parents for Augusta/Selina and if so, there are family descendants of the lines.
    Do the names Van Wezel/Defries 'ring any bells' for your family?

Phillip

There appears to be a potential important link between the Selina Defries/Louis Cohen data and your Cohen with the threads Selian Nathan and Louis Cohen Graves 13.08.2017 and other threads Jacob Dzialowski/Jalofsky/Jacobs 1848-1900 and the Silvan/Sylvan thread all by Jacqui with my inputs.
    Can I suggest that your read the posts carefully and map out the data. You might want to contact Jacqui to see what else she has discovered.
    In the previous post I referred to Augusta/Selina and her potential parents I meant to say Augusta/Golda.

Phillip

Sincere apologies Jacqui- Poor excuse but with family staying and not looking closely at data today I totally forgot that the Moses/Cohen/Silvan/ Jalofsky were all your lines and posts. There I was suggesting that you got in touch with yourself regarding the links.
    However, I think that the family trees which have Defries et al would be worth cross checking to see if there is new data on your lines.
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

bless you and no apologies necessary! xx
    So a possible here.... August Moss!
    Deaths Mar 1951 MOSS Augusta 68 Stepney 5d 883 Augusta Moss 07-Mar-1951 Edmonton L 10 3
    Also her sons Alfred war record as previously stated is incorrect. I was given as correct... Cohen surname of mother!
    service number 1753154 age 34. 144 Bty., 35 Lt. A.A. Regt. Royal Artillery Singapore Memorial.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast