Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

A long shot- If you look on Free BMD there appears to be only 1 record in 1974 for a marriage of a Jeannette Moses. This is too late for the Ginnie Moses so it maybe that she married in the USA. There is a GRO Marriage Record for a Mark J Moses to a Mary Blumenfeld Sept qtr 1948 Hendon 5e 1674 but again this appears to be the only record where a spouse has a first name which could be a Miriam.
    A point to note- if you look at The London Gazette Archives online you can see several instances where individuals with the name Mark Moses have changed their name by deed poll. This was not uncommon for those with Jewish sounding names or German surnames as well as for those who sort to change their names for various reasons.
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

as soon as I get the marriage and birth certificates, I will let you know the news. I want to thank you so much. NOW it would be amazing to find the descendants of this family, if and when we prove its them ..
    I just found the brother of Golda/Harry... and now in touch with that branch, living in California!

Starting to feel at home

I finally got the birth and marriage certificates and yes, this is the family. so Augusta is Golda and Harry Moses is Henry.
    I now would love to find the children so that I can get in touch with them. I'm sure some are still alive. I did meet, last week on a visit to London, my 3rd cousin of another line of enquiry. So excellent!
    Thanks for everything and hopefully your genius can find their children's children.

Would you like to post full details of the Marriage of Henry/Augusta to help other researchers and any possible family members.It's going to be difficult tracing descendants of Henry/Augusta without more clues/information.
    The following maybe related to Henry/Augusta;
    London Electoral Rolls- 31 Turner Street Tower Hamlets Stepney
    1918-1923- Henry/Augusta Moses; 1927-29 same address and Louis Moses is with them; 1930 it looks as if Henry/Augusta had 2 homes or else they are 2 different couples- 31 Turner Street Louis, Henry, Augusta Moses; 1930-31 43 Philpot Street Stepney Henry, Augusta, Alfred Moses.
    I can't see Augusta Moses on the register post 1931.
    Did they move abroad? I can't see a death record for her using Augusta/Golda.
    There are Marriage Records for a Louis Moses in 1928 and 1940 Stepney but no way of confirming if one is the son of Henry/Augusta without buying the certificates. Same applies when tracing Alfred/Jeannette/Sidney.
    Can your aunt provide any more clues?
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

where do I post the marriage certificate?
    I was told Golda?Augusta committed suicide... so I wonder if there is a rule about where she would be buried? and I thought it would be because of her son being killed in the war, but 1931 nulls that. mmmm?

I would be cautious regarding Augusta not appearing post 1931. It doesn't mean that she was not alive and may have moved outside the London area or abroad. We don't have enough information to confirm.
    If you post data from the certificate that would be a help such as where were they married/names/occupations of fathers/witnesses/address of groom/spouse- this might give further leads.
    Phillip

At present, I have looked at a range of sources including Free BMD, Ancestry.Com, Findmypast, Jewish Chronicle Archives, British Newspaper Archives, JewishGen, FindaGrave to try and locate Augusta/Golda. I can't locate any death record in the UK or reference to a suicide but the data on her death maybe in a local newspaper not online.
    We don't know when/where she died. We have very limited information on her children. For example, was Alfred married? Did Mark and the others live in the UK? What were the names of the people they married and when/where?
    Too many variables at present to enable searches.
    As I asked before does your aunt or any relatives have any more information. Without more data it is going to be very hard to locate the lines further.
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

wow thank you so much for all your work.

1903 marriage solemnized at The New Synagogue in the District of St Helen's Bishopsgate in the county of London.
    Columns No 13
    Married 25 January, 1903
    Henry Moses to Augusta Cohen
    Both ages 21
    Henry batchlor
    Augusta Spinster
    Henry Tailor
    Both living at 56 Great Garden Shul, Whitechapel
    Henry's father names Julius Moses
    Augustas father deceased Louis Cohen
    Both were Tailors
    Married in the New Synagogue according to the usages of the Jews by Certificate
    This marriage was solemnized between us Henry Moses and Augusta Cohen in the presence of Israel Ehrenberg and Frederick George Cockerill

Starting to feel at home

Alfred death recorded as
    15 Sep 1943 • Kranji, , North West, Singapore
    56225415 Cemetery Singapore Memorial Birth: unknown Death: Sep. 15, 1943 Note: Sapper, Queen Victoria's Own Madras Sappers and Miners. Age: Unknown. Burial: Singapore Memorial Kranji North West, Singapore Plot: Final resting place unknown

Maybe there are war records that may give some info?

The following maybe the parents and siblings of Augusta aka Golda but based purely on her Marriage Certificate and the name of her father. Her approximate dob based on an age of 21 in 1903 would be 1882. However, Augusta/Golda does not appear under those names in the 1891 Census so I am keeping options open. I can't see any other possible family.You will note that the wife of Louis is Augusta but the 2 daughters are Ada and Rosebell was it Rosebell who became Augusta/Golda because there is an Ada with her mother Augusta in 1911 Census.
    1891 Census ( Crown Copyright,TNA) RG12 276 785
    6 Osborn Place Whitechapel

Louis Cohen H M 37 Tailor b Russian Poland
    AUGUSTA wife 39 b Germany
    Morris son 11 b Whitechapel
    Leopold son 9 b Whitechapel
    Isidore son 8 b Whitechapel
    Ada dau 7 b Whitechapel
    Alfred son 3 b Whitechapel
    Rosebell dau 2 b Whitechapel
    +1 servant

There is a GRO Death Index record for LEWIS COHEN b abt 1855 Age 46 Oct qtr 1901 Whitechapel

I can't locate ( but will look again) the family in 1901 Census
    Here is Augusta in 1911:
    Crown Copyright,TNA RG14 1490
    63 Tenter Street South Whitechapel London E
    Augusta Cohen H Widow 52 Married 32 years 7 children all alive b Germany German
    Ada dau 24 single b Soho
    Alfred son 22 single Tobacco moulder b Stepney
    Marie dau 18 single Fur machinist b Stepney

Any of your relatives able to confirm if the above are the right family?
    Phillip

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast