Thread: lost marriage

hunterterri58

Default lost marriage

Hello
    I have a charles watson born to charles and elizabeth Watson 18 July 1770 in holborn, middlesex but I cannot locate his parents marriage.

There is a Charles Watson born 1745 in holborn and an Elizabeth Melin born 1748 in holborn but I cannot find their marriage.

Elizabeth's family are Benjamin Mealin and Elizabeth Strong.

Any thoughts please. I have it all set out as a family but want to tie up this loose end here.

Teresa

janbooth

The first child of Charles & Elizabeth WATSON that I can find, namely Elizabeth, was baptised 13 July 1766 at St Andrew Holborn and their address is shown as Union Court, so we are presumably looking for a marriage prior to that date.

The marriage of Charles WATSON & Elizabeth MELAN took place at St Andrew Holborn on 9 April 1765 (source Ancestry's London Parish Registers) and Elizabeth transcribed as MELAW - it could be either - and the witnesses were an R PERRY & Mary PRICE, which on the face of it does not help an awful lot.

Janet

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    The first child of Charles & Elizabeth WATSON that I can find, namely Elizabeth, was baptised 13 July 1766 at St Andrew Holborn and their address is shown as Union Court, so we are presumably looking for a marriage prior to that date.

The marriage of Charles WATSON & Elizabeth MELAN took place at St Andrew Holborn on 9 April 1765 (source Ancestry's London Parish Registers) and Elizabeth transcribed as MELAW - it could be either - and the witnesses were an R PERRY & Mary PRICE, which on the face of it does not help an awful lot.

Janet
    So that is great because at least the marriage exists! If Benjamin then is her father, which it looks like it may well be, then I have his family. He was married by a Clandestine marriage? I found the entry.

Charle's parents are John and Mary Watson, but I cannot locate any other children to them at present. There are a number of Christopher Watson's but I can't place them at present.

janbooth

There is certainly a baptism at St Andrew Holborn on 24 January 1745/46 for a Charles son of John & Mary WATSON, Baldwyns Gardens. I can find 3 other baptisms at St Sepulchre Holborn for children of a John & Mary WATSON:

John baptised 7 April 1745 son of John & Mary WATSON of Long Lane
    Edward baptised 8 February 1748/9 son of John & Mary WATSON of Greenhill Rents
    Hannah baptised 28 May 1750 daughter of John & Mary WATSON of Long Lane

Long Lane is certainly reasonably close to Baldwyn Gardens and Greenhill Rents is very close to Long Lane, so these 3 baptisms could be possible siblings to your Charles but more research would be needed on your part.

How certain are you that your Charles is the son of John & Mary WATSON? Do you have his burial record which would give you an approximate birthdate at least.

There is a marriage at St Andrew Holborn on 17? March 1740/41 for a John WATSON & a Mary ASTON - source Ancestry's London parish registers - which could be relevant to you.

Janet

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    There is certainly a baptism at St Andrew Holborn on 24 January 1745/46 for a Charles son of John & Mary WATSON, Baldwyns Gardens. I can find 3 other baptisms at St Sepulchre Holborn for children of a John & Mary WATSON:

John baptised 7 April 1745 son of John & Mary WATSON of Long Lane
    Edward baptised 8 February 1748/9 son of John & Mary WATSON of Greenhill Rents
    Hannah baptised 28 May 1750 daughter of John & Mary WATSON of Long Lane

Long Lane is certainly reasonably close to Baldwyn Gardens and Greenhill Rents is very close to Long Lane, so these 3 baptisms could be possible siblings to your Charles but more research would be needed on your part.

How certain are you that your Charles is the son of John & Mary WATSON? Do you have his burial record which would give you an approximate birthdate at least.

There is a marriage at St Andrew Holborn on 17? March 1740/41 for a John WATSON & a Mary ASTON - source Ancestry's London parish registers - which could be relevant to you.

Janet
    I am not certain of his birth. I cannot locate a death for definite as Charles Watson seems fairly common at the time.

How do we narrow this kind of thing down?

(I see I have made another thread recently on this!!! massive confusion here! I updated my Family Tree Maker and it set a bomb off on my family history and wiped most of my tree off Ancestry!!!!!!!!.........not impressed as you can imagine, so I have had to manually check every individual and add those missing back in!!.....That's over 1600 names!)

Sorry for the other thread. I don't know how to remove it. This is actually my last person to check after three weeks of literally sitting at this for around 6 to 8 hours a day!!!!

Teresa (very fed up Teresa!)

janbooth

Poor you, Teresa, and what a chore! Looking through the baptisms of all of the children of Charles & Elizabeth, the name Christopher features heavily in that 4 sons were baptised with that name, so one would assume that a Christopher is likely to be a relatively close ancestor somewhere along the line. The forename John does not feature at all in the baptisms I have found so I wonder if John & Mary were the parents of Charles snr.

There is a burial at St Andrew Holborn on 15 September 1803 for a Charles WATSON of Fetter Lane but this address is not where your Charles & Elizabeth were living in 1786 according to the baptism of their last child (Christopher & Union Court). Unfortunately, no occupation for Charles snr is shown on any of the baptisms of the children, so no joy there either.

You could try to follow through the marriages of the children of Charles snr & Elizabeth to see if they give you any clues. Can't see any likely Wills but I haven't looked in any great detail - that could be another avenue to explore.

Janet