Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Default Death registered under 3 names?...

I've located a marriage of John BOWHILL to Priscilla Elizabeth McFADZEAN in Sep Qtr 1891.
    (It's on FreeBMD, for Portsea, vol 2b page 919, although the bride is indexed as Priscella Elizabeth McFADZEAN).
    Other research suggests that prior she was Priscilla Elizabeth GARDNER, married to Daniel McFADZEAN.
    On the 1891 census (5th of April 1891) she was already calling herself Priscilla BOWHILL, wife of John BOWHILL.

However there is her death registered in the same quarter, Sep 1891, and also indexed on FreeBMD, for Portsea vol 2b page 260, but on opening the entries for that page there is a Priscilla Elizabeth BOWHILL, a Priscilla Elizabeth McFADZEAN and a Priscilla Elizabeth SMITH, all age 45.
    Too much of a coincidence to be 3 separate people surely?

Following the link to 'view the original images' shows those 3 names typed up as 3 entries on the appropriate alphabetical pages.

How would the original typed lists have been compiled? Could the death have been registered twice in the original volume, or amended, if say the informant didn't realise she was married and gave her name as McFADZEAN then came back and said sorry, she just got married and her name was BOWHILL ? (Don't know how SMITH became an option.)

Any thoughts or similar happenings, anyone?

Unfortunately she's not on that close a branch, so I don't fancy spending my hard earned on 3 death certificates!

Cheers, MTS

That John Bowhill is a big enigma to me and I've already got posts on here asking for info - now it seems his wife is getting in on the act!

Starting to feel at home

All you can tell from the index is that three names appear on the entry - so The register entry will read something like ... "Priscilla Elizabeth McFADZEAN, otherwise Priscilla Elizabeth BOWHILL, otherwise Priscilla Elizabeth SMITH" and has been correctly indexed under each name.

To see the exact arrangement of the names you would have to get a certificate (there will be only one).

That is unless by a huge coincidence three women called Priscilla Elizabeth, and age 45, all died in close succession in Portsea.

Thanks AntonyMMM, that makes sense.

Cheers, MTS

Very quick off the mark.

If you have access to British Newspaper Archive or Find My Past there is an article in the Portsmouth Evening News 26 September 1891 about the inquest into her death.

There was much discussion about her identity!

Thank you so much margarita! I'd never thought of a newspaper search - D'oh! - even though I do have access to a subscription.

That is a terrific article and mentions a number of dates that sequence the events too. I've never found such a gripping article about a relative - even if John Bowhill is only a half brother to my great grandmother.
    There is also a mention in the North-Eastern Daily Gazette on the 26th that says she was a trigomist, and committed suicide, and that Smith and Bowhill would share the cost of her burial (as McFadzean could nor be found - quoted as Zadrean in the article) - and that it was arranged to bury the deceased in the name of McFadzean (again misquoted as Zadrean), alias Smith, alias Bowhill.

I just might get that death certificate after all!

Cheers MTS

Here's a photo, back and front, that I have of John Bowhill - who is such an enigma that we have it on display in our front room. I'll look at it with a new perspective now!

I hope you will tell us what the certificate says. I am sooooooo nosy!
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by emmteeyess View Post
    Thank you so much margarita! I
    My pleasure. I just wish I had someone half so interesting even remotely connected to my tree. A sad story though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    I hope you will tell us what the certificate says. I am sooooooo nosy!
    The certificate came thru today! It doesn't add much more than I read in the main newspaper article but it does put it all down in one official document and shows the terminology used rather than the newspaper version. Does confirm date of death which I had only calculated back from the inquest date.

Registration District - PORTSEA ISLAND, Sub district of Kingston, in the Counties of Portsmouth and Hants.
    Entry no. - 419
    Died - 23rd September 1891, 10 Mary Street, Landport
    Name - Priscilla Elizabeth McFadzean, otherwise Smith, otherwise Bowhill
    Sex - Female
    Age - 45 years
    Occupation - Married Woman (ironic in the circumstances!)
    Cause - Committed Suicide by taking Laudanum whilst of unsound mind
    Informant - Certificate received from Thos A Bramsdon Coroner for Portsmouth. Inquest held 25th
    September 1891
    Registered - Twenty sixth September 1891
    Signed - T Arnold Registrar

Well worth seeing, for just the price of a couple of coffees!

Cheers, MTS

thank you for remembering! How sad to make such a stew of your life that you can only see one way out. She was probably not a nice person but i do feel for her and for all those around her who were caught in the fallout.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time