Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie on adoption

Hi

I actually have a couple of questions

I am trying to do a family tree and get Irish citizenship

Now in order to start I need my mothers and fathers birth certs, their marriage cert and divorce certificate, my grandmothers-grandfathers birth, marriage and death certs

My grandfather was born in Kerry in ROI

So two questions:

1. My father was adopted, so would he have a birth certificate? or is an adoption certificate the same legally. This will be the difficult part as i am not in contact with him. But do know his DOB and we have an unusual surname

2. Where is the best place to buy all these from as it might be too much trouble getting in touch with all the different registrars etc?

Cheers

Knowledgeable and helpful

I can answer the Irish part of your enquiry. The place to get an Irish birth certificate is:

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply...tificates.aspx

You’ll need a certified copy so that should cost €20 & €1 postage. Total €21.

As I expect you are probably aware, before you can apply for an Irish passport, assuming he was born in the UK, you’ll need to register your father’s birth on the Irish Foreign birth register. That will cost €278 and there’s currently a 6 months waiting list. Further info:

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/gre...tration-guide/

You need to be able to show a chain of events that leads back to an Irish born grandparent (and I think it needs to be legitimate births if claimed through the male lines, but you would need to check on that). The problem that you may face with your father's adoption certificate is that it won't show his natural birth parents. At least I don't think it will. So that won't link him to his father's Irish birth certificate. I think you might want to speak to the Irish Passport office and ask about that. They must have come across this before and may be best to advise on what you need to do.
    ELWYN

Excellent I have just been to that website and have found out that

"Your parent’s details (through whom you’re claiming citizenship)"

Which I think means I only have to get my Mothers details as its her father and my grandfather who was born in ROI, so I dont think I will need anything to do with my father

I do have my grandfathers birth cert but its very old and delicate so I will get a certified copy

Many Many thanks

little bit confused as why i would need my mums marriage and divorce certs though. Thats assuming I dont need to provide my fathers details

Glad to have helped. Other things you may need to know are that once you have the documentary paper trail sorted out, and then make your passport application, you’ll need to go for a face to face interview. (All first time applicants have a face to face interview. Fraud prevention I assume). If you live in Somerset, I suppose the nearest Irish passport office must be in London.

There’s currently about a 4 month waiting list for new Irish passport applications. So all in all you are probably looking at 10 to 12 months to complete the process.
    ELWYN

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyfireblade View Post
    little bit confused as why i would need my mums marriage and divorce certs though. Thats assuming I dont need to provide my fathers details
    Don't know about the divorce certificate but the marriage certificate will be to show the name change. Her birth surname and yours now are presumably different. So perhaps you need to show you are her son. So you need her marriage certificate to show that link. Though thinking about it, your birth certificate should record her maiden name. So not really sure. It sounds as though they want it though, so there must be some reason.
    ELWYN

Yes I think I will get a copies of the marriage cert, just in case anyway

And yes expect this too take 12 months and it might be a reason to quick visit to Dublin which I know well as I used to live there

Where does one get marriage and birth cert in the UK from? I have seen the GRO site but i can only seem to see records older than 1916

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyfireblade View Post
    Where does one get marriage and birth cert in the UK from? I have seen the GRO site but i can only seem to see records older than 1916
    You order BMD certificates from the GRO, https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    and I presume you're referring to the 'Historic births and deaths index',
    For events up to 2006 you need Findmypast or Ancestry (one or t'other often available for free at your local library) or for events prior to 1 January 1984 try https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

FreeBMD is still a work in progress so not every record has been transcribed. If you can't find either record for your mum or dad's marriage but you know the date they married then you can do a 'manual' search by clicking on 'images on this page https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
    It's a bit long-winded (especially if your surname if Smith or Jones )
    So you select marriages, then year, then quarter, then pick a letter. The dropdown box will give you a number of pages to chose from. If your name for instance was Mannering, then it will be in the first few pages. Mornington will make it at least halfway through, so if you've got a total of fifty pages start on say the thirtieth, and then forward or backwards as necessary.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

If you are going to Dublin, then catch a train to Carrick on Shannon. The Irish GRO is in Roscommon, Co.Roscommon. You can then apply for certs in person, while you wait.

There is also a train that can take you to Westport, from Dublin(Heuston Station), from Westport to Roscommon, €32 return, I believe. But don't hold me to that.

Dublin(Connolly) Station to Carrick on Shannon, is €32 but the taxi will add to the cost.

How you get from Carrick on Shannon to Roscommon, wil be a taxi ride, if you're not driving over. About a 50 mile round trip.

Ádh mór and Fáilte.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast