Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Question CATTERMOLE Family from Swilland

My great great grandmother was Sarah Ann CATTERMOLE. She was born in Swilland in c.1826. In c.1844 she married my great great grandfather, Alfred Bell and together they had seven children: Sarah Ann, Alfred, Susannah, another Sarah(!), Esther, Jonathan and Rose.

Sarah died in Ipswich in 1895.

Apart from this, I know nothing about her and I've been unable to trace her roots - although I know Cattermole appears to be a Suffolk name...

I anyone else researching the Cattermole family?

David Kipling

Question Cattermoles / Suffolk, esp Debenham 1930's

I just came across "LINDAD's" posting about the Cattermole name in Suffolk. I am no genealogist, but have just been listening to an archive recording of my father's memories of being a farm boy in Debenham in Suffolk in the 1930's, when he worked under a marvellous horseman named FRANK CATTERMOLE --- "one of the most intelligent men I ever met". Mr Cattermole at that time had only one eye, with which my father recalled Frank saw "more than most men do with two!"

Can any kind person tell me how to navigate my way to a site or forum where I can try to find that man's family? It would be nice to pass on my father's reminiscences. I am not very Net savvy I'm afraid.

Default Cattermoles

Thanks David. That's an interesting anecdote. I'm not sure I can answer your question. My Cattermoles are still proving to be somewhat elusive - although I have made small and slow progress since originally posting this thread.

It seems that Cattermole is a Suffolk name, and apparently not all that uncommon. It's finding the right Cattermole twig that's the problem!

You could try Genes Reunited - or one of the Ancestry message boards if you have access to that site.

helenc

Smile Hi Guys

Hi my surnames is CATCHPOLE but as far as surnames go it is often mixed up with CATTERMOLE. so if you get really stuck try catchpole, this is also a strong Norfolk/Suffolk surname.

best wishes Helen

keith t

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad
    One little bit of it, anyway! You're right, Cattermole appears to be a reasonably common Suffolk surname.

My great-grandad's sister, Esther Lamb, who is from Snape married one William Cattermole (b. 1833) in Saxmundham around 1863 or 4. On the 1871 census they were living in Church Street in Savmundham with William's younger brother, Henry (b. 1840). Thereafter, they had several children (between 1865 an 1881) - Edmund,beatrice, Edith, Ethel, Horace and Violet.

If any of these ring any bells, drop me a line.

Best wishes

Question Help please!

If anyone is feeling benevolent, I’d very much appreciate some help with my Cattermoles!

Some time ago, I thought I’d tracked them down on the IGI – and was hoping to substantiate that information when I go to Suffolk in a few weeks time. I had found a William Cattermole married to Sarah and they had the following children: Sarah Ann (my great great grandmother?) born 1826, Eliza born 1828, Maria Hannah born 1830, William born 1835, Margaret born 1835 and Rebecca born 1837.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find any of these on the 1841 census… Are they there?

I have found another(?) William and Sarah on the 1841, living in Ipswich St Margarets. There is no mention of Sarah Ann (who should have still been at home at the time) but they have William (aged 15), Joseph (age 15), Eliza (age 12), Hannah (age 9) and Margaret (age 6).

Could this be the same family as the IGI, although the ages in some cases are quite different (even taking into account the rounding up and down of ages on the 1841)?

I know that Sarah Ann was born at Swilland… but of course the 1841 doesn’t go into helpful specifics! She married in 1845, so I’d been hoping to track her down on 1841 with her parents and siblings.

I’m struggling to work out whether I’ve picked up the right twig or not - and have got to the point where I need a fresh pair of eyes and brain capable of thinking logically…

Exclamation

Well, it just goes to show that it pays to keep turning stones... and to splash out on as many certificates as you can afford!

For over a year, I've been under the illusion that Sarah Ann Cattermole's parents were William and Sarah.

Not so!

I've just received a copy of her marriage certificate to Alfred Bell and her father's name is Jonathan. And, on the 1841 census, I've found them living at Westerfield, Suffolk... and Jonathan's wife was called Esther.

That's gives me something to build on!

pdadme

Smile Jonathan Cattermole was my 5g uncle

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    My great great grandmother was Sarah Ann CATTERMOLE. She was born in Swilland in c.1826. In c.1844 she married my great great grandfather, Alfred Bell and together they had seven children: Sarah Ann, Alfred, Susannah, another Sarah(!), Esther, Jonathan and Rose.

Sarah died in Ipswich in 1895.

Apart from this, I know nothing about her and I've been unable to trace her roots - although I know Cattermole appears to be a Suffolk name...

Hi,
    I just came across this VERY ancient post and wondered whether anyone is still following it?
    Jonathan Cattermole c1790, seems to have been the brother of my 4g grandfather Benjamin Cattermole c1787, though there are SO many Cattermoles in Swilland it is hard to be certain.
    If anyone is still out there feel free to give me a shout
    Regards
    Last edited by pdadme; 03-12-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: omissions in first post

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I just seen this thread I have added a Esther Last 1787 and Johnathan Cattermole 1789 on my tree and they have a Sarah 16th Dec 1825 born BAPTIST,OTLEY,SUFFOLK,ENGLAND on wikitree and familysearch there is a huge Catermole tree upto 1455 that people have put on haven't checked it all out just connected it on, has variations in the name.