Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hello I will try to order the marriage certificate.
    It is a mystery why she isen't in the registrer for Hartlepool, when it in the census says that she is born there.

Quote Originally Posted by pern64 View Post
    Hello I will try to order the marriage certificate.
    It is a mystery why she isen't in the registrer for Hartlepool, when it in the census says that she is born there.
    Pern, without the marriage certificate it is doubtful you can be sure of following Kate's correct ancestry. It isn't uncommon however for census returns to have an incorrect place of birth, and year of birth.

Come back when you have details of the marriage and we'll look for Kate on census returns. There is a Kate on censuses who looks promising but without her father's name we cannot be sure.
    Alma

Hello
    I have ordered it and I will have it on friday the 4 August.
    The I will be back.
    Thanks again for helping me

Quote Originally Posted by pern64 View Post
    Hello
    I have ordered it and I will have it on friday the 4 August.
    The I will be back.
    Thanks again for helping me
    My pleasure, Pern. When it arrives post all details of Kate's father, witness names and Kate's address.
    Alma

Ok I will do that.
    We'll take later

Hello

Back in late July you said that you would help me look for a Kate Francess Thompson when I received the marriage certificate. I have just received it today.
    Her farthers name was John Thompson (Decesed). He was a Boiler Smith.
    Jens Hansen Pedersen and Kate Francess Thompson lived in Holiest Holborn, South Shields (As far as I can read), at the time when they got married. The witnesses to the wedding was M.E Thompson. I think that is her sister Margaret Ellen, but I'm not sure.

I have seen a census from 1901 where it says that Kate Francess Thompson was born in West Hartlepool, Durham. In the census from 1881 she is listet as a pauper and living in a home with one or three of her siblings. But I know for sure that her brother James is in the same home as her, because in the sensus from 1891 they both live at there aunt in West Hartlepool, Durham.

I hope this is enough for you to see if it is the right Kate (Catherine?) Francess Thompson who is born 12 November 1877 West Hartlepool.
    If you at the same time could tell me the name of her mother I would be happy.

If you have any ideas to how, I can find out why they were sent to the home for pour persons I would appreciate it. I think it is because their farther dies. But then again why could they not stay with their mother?

Thanks in advance for helping

Pernille

Hi Pernille, Just to let you know your post hasn't been forgotten.

I had some spare time last night and did some digging around, it's not an easy request to sort out (as you've probably discovered). I have taken some notes and will spend more time later looking for clues. A big problem is the name Thompson, there's so many of them in Durham.
    Alma

Hello

I appreciate your efforts. And yes I have found, that it is difficult to find what I'm looking for.
    In the census from 1881 there is 4 children with the surname Thompson. It is Catherine Thompson age 4 (Hartlepool), John Thompson age 6 (Whitehaven), Margt Thompson age 8 (Hartlepool) and James Thompson age 12 (Durham). I think that they mayby all are siblings. As I wrote to you the other day, I'm pretty sure that James and Catherine in 1891 lived by their aunt Elisabeth Waters and her husband George Waters in West Hartlepool.

I'm posting the sightings on census returns to help others who may wish to join the search.

1901 census. 4, Orange St, South Shields. RG13; Piece: 4733; Folio: 113; Page: 27
    Jens H Pederson 33, sailor (seas), Denmark
    Kate Pederson 24, West Hartlepool, Durham
    James Pederson 2, South Shields

1891, Stranton, West Hartlepool. RG12; Piece: 4062; Folio: 136; Page: 13
    George Waters 46, shipyard labourer, Rudham Norfolk
    Elizabeth Waters 48, Ireland
    Mary A Waters 18, Barrow in Furness, Lancashire
    George Waters 17, shipyard labourer, Whitehaven, Cumberland
    John Joe Waters 15, West Hartlepool, Durham
    Catherine F Thompson 15, niece, West Hartlepool, Durham
    James Thompson 21, nephew, sailor, So (south?) Stockton, Yorkshire

1881, RG11, Piece 4910; Folio 161. Page 21.
    George Waters 40, Yorkshire, Hull
    Elizabeth Waters 13, Barrow in Furness
    Mary A. Waters 8, Barrow in Furness
    George Waters 6, Whitehaven
    John J. Waters 4, W. Hartlepool

And who you think may be Catherine and her siblings in 1881.
    RG11; Piece: 5019; Folio: 130; Page: 6; Harton, South Shields Workhouse.
    James, 12, Durham; Margaret, 8, Hartlepool; John 6, Whitehaven, Cumberland; Catherine 4, Hartlepool

The three younger children of George and Elizabeth Waters all appear to have a mother's maiden name of MCMAHON or MAHON, so it is possible the Thompson children's mother was born Waters or McMahon/Mahon. Though as yet I've not found their birth registrations.

Waters family in 1901. RG13; Piece: 4734; Folio: 89; Page: 27

No suitable marriage found for George WATERS/Elizabeth MCMAHON. The nearest I've seen is Sept 1872 Ulverston, vol 8e page 990, George Waters and possible bride Elizabeth MEKIN.

Next step is to try and pin down John Thompson a boilersmith (father of Catherine). All the children were enumerated as born in County Durham, so that is where I'll start the search in 1871. If James' age is correct in 1881 he should be on the 1871 census.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

From Cumbria bmd, George Waters married Elizabeth Mehin at St George church Barrow in Furness 1872

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast