Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Sansome from Wareham/Poole around 1800

I'm new to this forum and hoping that there might be someone who has researched Sansom families in Wareham/Poole area. My 3rd great-grandfather Frederick Stevens Sansom (1821-1904) occupation Draper was born and baptised at St James Poole and moved to Edinburgh in his adult years, his mother was Fanny Stevens (1794-1877) and Father James Sansom (1792-1858) I believe that they were originally from Wareham – married on 16 May 1815 James Sansom (of Holy Trinity) & Fanny Stevens (of Lady Mary). I struggled finding any information via Census and Wareham parish records destroyed, but managed to find a 1841 Census (incorrectly named Fanson) in Poole, but other than that it’s been pretty limited. What options are open to me to research, or is this an effective genealogy cul-de-sac?

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Hopefully we'll be able to help you sort things out.

I assume that you have seen the 1851 census entry for James (tailor, 58, Wareham) and Fanny (59, Wareham) Sansom and their daughter Julia (dressmaker, 17, Poole) in Poole?
    BMDs for England started in 1837, and the first census with much info in it was 1841, before that we have to depend pretty much on Church registers. For example, there's a birth entry in the registers of the Presbyterian Church in Wareham for a James Sansom for 14 Dec 1792, bap 30 Mar 1793. Parents Geo. Sansom & Mary Farwell which looks as though it might be interesting...

Scotland's registers are stored in Edinburgh (see the messages at the head of the General Scottish Forum).
    I see that there's a Frederick S Sansome in Edinburgh in 1861, 1871 and 1881. In the 1871, he's with his wife Mary A. Sansome & 8 children. His death certificate is on Scotlands People.

By the 1861 Census Fanny is a widow, place of birth Wareham - Census ref. RG09 1341 93 4

Possible burial James? (FMP transcription)
    James Sansom, age 67, bur. 29 Dec 1859 (YoB c. 1792), place Wareham St. Mary
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Fanny is consistent in providing YoB = 1792 in the '51, '61 and '71 Census.

In the same Presbyterian, Wareham register referred to at post #2 above is -
    Fanny Stevens, b. 28 Mar 1792, bap. 28 Sep 1792, parents John Stevens and Susan'h Hopkins
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thanks - I can get started again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Hopefully we'll be able to help you sort things out.

I assume that you have seen the 1851 census entry for James (tailor, 58, Wareham) and Fanny (59, Wareham) Sansom and their daughter Julia (dressmaker, 17, Poole) in Poole?
    BMDs for England started in 1837, and the first census with much info in it was 1841, before that we have to depend pretty much on Church registers. For example, there's a birth entry in the registers of the Presbyterian Church in Wareham for a James Sansom for 14 Dec 1792, bap 30 Mar 1793. Parents Geo. Sansom & Mary Farwell which looks as though it might be interesting...

Scotland's registers are stored in Edinburgh (see the messages at the head of the General Scottish Forum).
    I see that there's a Frederick S Sansome in Edinburgh in 1861, 1871 and 1881. In the 1871, he's with his wife Mary A. Sansome & 8 children. His death certificate is on Scotlands People.
    That was fast and thank you. I'm reasonable adept at getting around Scottish records and have a wealth of information from Edinburgh onwards. I was just generally struggling with searching through Ancestry, and trying to find the family members in Poole and Wareham, but there are several pieces of new information here, provided by all responses, which should get me started again. Frederick's siblings have middle names of Boyt and Woodrow so hoping that may assist too, probably need to brush up on my investigative technique!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    By the 1861 Census Fanny is a widow, place of birth Wareham - Census ref. RG09 1341 93 4

Possible burial James? (FMP transcription)
    James Sansom, age 67, bur. 29 Dec 1859 (YoB c. 1792), place Wareham St. Mary
    That's the one as I can cross check with Emily Harriet Sansome Young, who is in the Census as Fanny's granddaughter.