Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Does anyone else ever get a 'niggle'.

Does anyone else ever get a 'niggle' that something isn't quite right? I have a brickwall for Ellen Marshall nee Williams b <1845> in Aldgate Middlesex. Ellen married Joseph Marshall in August 1873 @ St Olave Church, Southwark. Their son Joseph Henry Marshall was born Nov 1873. Family story is that Ellen was a servant in the Marshall household and the marriage & resulting child did not go down well. I have Joseph Henry Marshall in 1881 living with his step Grandmother in Hackney. His father is boarding in Hackney and listed as a widower.
    In 1882 Joseph remarries. In 1885 this marriage produces a son who is named Joseph William Marshall!

In 1888 Joseph Henry Marshall is shipped to Canada as a Home Child. I have searched for the last 10 yrs for the death of his mother Ellen, and I can't find her. I have this 'niggle' about her demise which I can't explain. Does anyone else ever get the feeling that something is really not right?
    Last edited by pat fowles; 25-07-2017 at 2:41 PM. Reason: Missed something out

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Yes I have two like this, I'm convinced they did a bunk or were made to do a bunk. Trouble is if they change their name or deliberately stay off the radar they are impossible to find.

Mrs P

janbooth

I don't know if this will be relevant or not, but FMP have a list of criminal records, all at Kingston Petty Sessions, for an Ellen MARSHALL, who is married, dating from 1877 to 1882. Can't give you full details because of their terms & conditions, but she does receive imprisonment. This Ellen MARSHALL appears to be a prisoner in Wormwood Scrubs in the 1891 census and is shown as aged 46, married, born Chelsea. I cannot find her in the 1901 census and as I say, I don't know whether she is your Ellen, but it might explain why son Joseph Henry is with his grandmother in the 1881 census and then shipped off to Canada in 1888.

Janet

janbooth

Several newspaper articles re the felonious activities of one Ellen MARSHALL in one of which (dated 16 April 1882) a warder at Wandsworth Prison stated that Ellen MARSHALL, also previously convicted under the name Edith WILSON, came from a good family. Could perhaps be worth further investigation.

Janet